BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you in advance for your help. I have 2014 x3 35i. Around 38k miles. My brake pads have about half centimeter remaining front and rear. The car computer is saying I’m at zero miles for front brake pads and needs to be changed ASAP! Rear is at 1900 miles. The wear sensor has not been triggered and pads do not squeal.

I tried resetting the front and rear brake pads via the button on the trip odometer reset button. But the system said reset unsuccessful. So my dash has the BRAKE red light lit up 100% of the time now.

My NY state inspection is expiring end of January.

Question: Will I pass the NY inspection if the computer has the brake light on the dash? Or will I have to go to stealership to have them reset the light? Can a coding app like Carly reset/ turn off the BRAKE light from the dash?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I can't speak for NY, but in my state I would not pass with a warning light illuminated. My state also notes when codes were last cleared. I don't know if there is a threshold for passing (such as cleared an hour ago), but I do know that the inspection report noted the date/time when I last cleared codes.

BMW has a specification for pad replacement based on measurement of the actual pad thickness. I don't recall what those measurement values are. The onboard system is an approximation at best, which may or may not be anywhere near accurate. Given that it is a week before EOM and inspection time, I would reach out to a BMW dealer or an Indy get the pads measured, and either the system reset by them, or a brake job done.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If your pads haven't worn enough for the plastic of the electronic wear sensor to start wearing down, then it sounds like you probably have a bad sensor. If brakes are unavailable for reset, that points to the sensor as well. As I understand it, measured resistance has to be in a certain range to enable the reset, preventing you from just hitting the reset without changing the brakes and sensor

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wanted to follow up and let everyone know it was my wear sensor that got triggered. I bought all the parts from fcpeuro. Rotors, pads, wear sensors and rotor screw. Had a shop that specializes in bmw do the work. $360 for labor. And $725 for parts. Then I went and got my inspection done. $45 includes tip as I have front tint on my car.
Dealer wanted $1571 not including tax!
I would have attempted to do it myself but considering it’s 20degrees outside I rather pay someone.
$1130 all in vs $1571 by dealer.

Crazy! How people would get things done at the dealer

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention all the parts I ordered are genuine bmw parts that why they were so expensive. But they are life time warranty so I won’t be paying for pads and rotors going forward!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use Akebono pads and Centric coated high carbon rotors from Rock Auto. Pads, rotors, and a wear sensor from them for the rear runs around $220 shipped. You can replace a LOT of pads and rotors before you get to what you spent for the OEM stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts