BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION - The factory has scheduled production of your unique BMW" including S/XM radio ;^)

BMW scrubbed the 19" wheels & substituted 20"s. We'll deal with that down the road when we transition to four All Season NON-RunFlats (we're packing the factory spare tire).

cheers, M

Font Pattern Rectangle Grille Circle

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"PRODUCTION BEGINS - Today's the day: your BMW has entered the production queue"

Another step closer. Hope to have a Halloween treat by 10/31 - M

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,566 Posts
Dynamic handling oh baby!
If I may make a recommendation to do a rear diff service at 1200 miles even though bmw doesn’t think it’s necessary ( if you plan to keep it ). It uses the GHAS diff which is M differential. I sent videos of the fluid change to @ard, @jaye944 and @edycol a while back and hopefully they can vouch that the fluid was atrocious. It’s pricey fluid too 50$ for 500ml but luckily it only takes 2 bottles ( 1000ml ).
Whatever you decide congrats and love the build

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,463 Posts
I concur, at around 2k I paid for a qoil change and rear dif service, the SA was fine with everything, the reception looked at me like I had snot dripping out of my nose,
LOOK after your car, and it will look after you

If I may make a recommendation to do a rear diff service at 1200 miles even though bmw doesn’t think it’s necessary ( if you plan to keep it ). It uses the GHAS diff which is M differential. I sent videos of the fluid change to @ard, @jaye944 and @edycol a while back and hopefully they can vouch that the fluid was atrocious. It’s pricey fluid too 50$ for 500ml but luckily it only takes 2 bottles ( 1000ml ).

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
...I concur, at around 2k I paid for a oil change and rear dif service...LOOK after your car, and it will look after you...
(y) Agree. The X3 is a purhase, not a lease. That's one reason we didn't go for the 382hp or 473hp 3.0 Six cylinder - 2nd or 3rd gear is all we'll need with 248hp 4cyl on super twisty asphalt.

We're blessed to live in western NC, home of some of the twistiest asphalt East on the Mississippi.

Sorry, I can't share names or locations ;) The two roads below* are really for the tourists. There are many better ones without the riff-raff - M

*Cherohala Skyway, NC/TN - This 43-mile stretch connects Tellico Plains, TN, to Robbinsville, NC and, compared to the Tail, Cherohala’s turns are big sweepers instead of tight, wimpy curves. Here the drive is all about the hundred-million-dollar views (it’s North Carolina’s most expensive road, after all). And if your car needs a rest after wheezing up the nearly 4,000-foot elevation gain, there are several killer hiking spots to stretch those legs AND Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles: America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road - designated US 129, the road is bordered by the Great Smoky Mountains and the Cherokee National Forest with no intersecting roads or driveways to hamper your travel. It is considered “the destination” for thousands of motorcycle and sports car fans throughout the spring, summer, and fall.

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
35 Posts
Just curious. I do not know much, or anything about all wheel drive, but isn't there a front diff. also? If so, why would you only do an oil change in the rear diff. and not do both? I will bring mine in for its first oil change at around 2k miles and I am now curious about the diff. oil as well.

tks, dal

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
35 Posts
(y) Agree. The X3 is a purhase, not a lease. That's one reason we didn't go for the 382hp or 473hp 3.0 Six cylinder - 2nd or 3rd gear is all we'll need with 248hp 4cyl on super twisty asphalt.

We're blessed to live in western NC, home of some of the twistiest asphalt East on the Mississippi.

Sorry, I can't share names or locations ;) The two roads below* are really for the tourists. There are many better ones without the riff-raff - M

*Cherohala Skyway, NC/TN - This 43-mile stretch connects Tellico Plains, TN, to Robbinsville, NC and, compared to the Tail, Cherohala’s turns are big sweepers instead of tight, wimpy curves. Here the drive is all about the hundred-million-dollar views (it’s North Carolina’s most expensive road, after all). And if your car needs a rest after wheezing up the nearly 4,000-foot elevation gain, there are several killer hiking spots to stretch those legs AND Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles: America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road - designated US 129, the road is bordered by the Great Smoky Mountains and the Cherokee National Forest with no intersecting roads or driveways to hamper your travel. It is considered “the destination” for thousands of motorcycle and sports car fans throughout the spring, summer, and fall.
We went for the 4 cylinder as well. To be honest, I really struggled ordering a vehicle with such low HP and only 4 cylinders, but now that we have been driving it, I am really quite impressed with its power. It is the torque that really makes the difference. It may only be 258, but it comes on immediately! We were up in the Blue Ridge last week and it could not have done a better job. It took the turns and steep inclines with ease. My wife always drives in Sport Plus. :)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Just curious. I do not know much, or anything about all wheel drive, but isn't there a front diff. also? If so, why would you only do an oil change in the rear diff. and not do both? I will bring mine in for its first oil change at around 2k miles and I am now curious about the diff. oil as well.

tks, dal
The front diff is a normal open differential. The rear however is a motor actuated limited slip with clutches ( GHAS ). BMW considers the rear to be a Motorsport differential. On ///M cars during the 1200 mile service they get rear diff serviced. Back in the old days BMW used to do 1200 mile break in services on all cars but somewhere along the way decided they didn’t want to pay for every cars break in. I personally think it’s fine NOT to do the break in services if you don’t want to except in the case of the GHAS diff if your keeping the car long term. Again BMW will not pay for this but my personal experience and peace of mind says it should be done. If it were my car as well I would do a 1200 mile oil change too. Again at your expense but I posted my break in oil service using blackstone report on the thread “requesting B46 blackstone oil reports” which showed high wear metals as expected. If you do decide to change the oil make sure you buy the liter bottles as who knows what some dealers are using in the bulk. It SHOULD be the same but isn’t always the case. The new BMW Twin Power Turbo oil is Castrol 0W20 and carries an API-SP rating which I also posted showing the TAN/TBN readings and makeup on the oil on that same thread. While I’m not fully sold on the 0/20 oils yet I don’t have any hard data to contradict using it yet.
I have been promoting the new B46 and B58 since they made it to the BMW side and they are rock solid so far as long as your using premium fuel to combat LSPI and good oil.

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
35 Posts
The front diff is a normal open differential. The rear however is a motor actuated limited slip with clutches ( GHAS ). BMW considers the rear to be a Motorsport differential. On ///M cars during the 1200 mile service they get rear diff serviced. Back in the old days BMW used to do 1200 mile break in services on all cars but somewhere along the way decided they didn’t want to pay for every cars break in. I personally think it’s fine NOT to do the break in services if you don’t want to except in the case of the GHAS diff if your keeping the car long term. Again BMW will not pay for this but my personal experience and peace of mind says it should be done. If it were my car as well I would do a 1200 mile oil change too. Again at your expense but I posted my break in oil service using blackstone report on the thread “requesting B46 blackstone oil reports” which showed high wear metals as expected. If you do decide to change the oil make sure you buy the liter bottles as who knows what some dealers are using in the bulk. It SHOULD be the same but isn’t always the case. The new BMW Twin Power Turbo oil is Castrol 0W20 and carries an API-SP rating which I also posted showing the TAN/TBN readings and makeup on the oil on that same thread. While I’m not fully sold on the 0/20 oils yet I don’t have any hard data to contradict using it yet.
I have been promoting the new B46 and B58 since they made it to the BMW side and they are rock solid so far as long as your using premium fuel to combat LSPI and good oil.
Great info and explanation, thank you!! I will definitely be doing the 1st oil change at 2k miles and will now add the oil change for the rear diff. as well. I do all other oil changes at 5k miles.

It is a real shame that there is a concern with the dealership not using the proper oil, and possibly using some bulk, discount crap they purchased. When you say to make sure you buy liter bottles, do you mean to buy them privately and bring to the dealership, or to make sure they are using liter bottles of the good oil?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
All dealers use bulk oil and normally it’s the same stuff but not always. Another prominent member found out his local dealer uses something else. My dealer uses castrol but I’d say don’t take chances. You can either buy the liter bottles over the parts counter and put them in the car ( thus avoiding any potential service markup ) or ask them to use the liter bottles and not the bulk oil.
The GHAS G4 fluid is pricey! It’s over 50$ for .500ml but luckily you only need 2 bottles ( 1000ml ). Then youll
Probably have to pay labor as well. The other fluids at 5k seems excessive but that’s totally your call if you don’t mind spending the cash. I’d say every 25-50k is more than adequate considering BMW considers all these fluids “lifetime” anyways.

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
35 Posts
All dealers use bulk oil and normally it’s the same stuff but not always. Another prominent member found out his local dealer uses something else. My dealer uses castrol but I’d say don’t take chances. You can either buy the liter bottles over the parts counter and put them in the car ( thus avoiding any potential service markup ) or ask them to use the liter bottles and not the bulk oil.
The GHAS G4 fluid is pricey! It’s over 50$ for .500ml but luckily you only need 2 bottles ( 1000ml ). Then youll
Probably have to pay labor as well. The other fluids at 5k seems excessive but that’s totally your call if you don’t mind spending the cash. I’d say every 25-50k is more than adequate considering BMW considers all these fluids “lifetime” anyways.
Wonderful. Again, I thank you for the info. Okay, I will have to decide whether to bring the bottles with me, or to trust the dealer. Tough choice. :) BTW, I was referring to motor oil only when referencing the 5k miles.
tks, dal

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Tomorrow, four Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's will replace OEM Bridgestone Allenza RFT's. Local BMW dealer is mounting/balancing as part of the negotiated deal - M
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Tread Plant

BTW - the 20" Bridgestones with ~360 miles are for sale. Placeing a classified advert later today. Prefer local pick up, but will meet you for delivery within a 2 hour drive from 28739 - M
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Here are the tire sizes (rims NOT included) -
Font Line Magenta Pattern Parallel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tomorrow, four Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's will replace OEM Bridgestone Allenza RFT's. Local BMW dealer is mounting/balancing as part of the negotiated deal - M
View attachment 1045922

BTW - the 20" Bridgestones with ~370 miles are for sale. Placeing a classified advert later today. Prefer local pick up, but will meet you for delivery within a 2 hour drive from 28739 - M
View attachment 1045923
Here are the tire sizes (rims NOT included) -
View attachment 1045924
Hey, those bridgestones that are for sale are not all season, correct?

·
Registered
2022 X3 xDrive30i
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Correct...they are not All Season tires. Here's how Tire Rack describes them...

"Street/Sport Summer tires are for drivers who want to combine aggressive low-profile tires with large rim diameter wheels to enhance their vehicle's appearance. Sometimes used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on 2WD and 4WD pickup, crossover and sport utility vehicles, Street/Sport Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice"

For Sale - $750 for all four tires. Driven 360 miles from new. Perfect for your BMW lease turn-in. Cash/PayPal only. Prefer local pick up, but will meet you for delivery within a 2 hour drive from 28739. PM to arrange sale & delivery. Thanks for looking - M

Automotive tire Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

1 - 20 of 23 Posts