BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been beaten to death here, I've done my research regarding this topic and everyone according to the multiple threads (written over the years) have a different opinion. I'm closer to leasing a 320i Xdrive but the amount of negative things about these tires have me thinking whether to replace them and put them back at the end of the lease or just carry around plugs and a small compressor.

Then we have those people that purchased the tire and wheel protection, and how they claim it has saved them thousands in tire repairs, this makes me think that some of these people posting these tire and wheel protection stories are undercover BMW reps just putting fear into potential customers reading forums so they can purchase the tire and wheel protection in the F&I office :D

At the same time I've read threads and articles outside the forum on how some people have even reported replacing their RFT up to 8 times over a certain period, that's insane! 8 times? What are these tires made off? Wood? Reading all of this makes me think that a BMW owner has to change their tires once a month or something.

In reality how long do these tires last? It seems that they fail just by looking at them, I mean, could it be that all these cases of people reporting RFT failure are just isolated cases? What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I know this topic has been beaten to death here, I've done my research regarding this topic and everyone according to the multiple threads (written over the years) have a different opinion. I'm closer to leasing a 320i Xdrive but the amount of negative things about these tires have me thinking whether to replace them and put them back at the end of the lease or just carry around plugs and a small compressor.

Then we have those people that purchased the tire and wheel protection, and how they claim it has saved them thousands in tire repairs, this makes me think that some of these people posting these tire and wheel protection stories are undercover BMW reps just putting fear into potential customers reading forums so they can purchase the tire and wheel protection in the F&I office :D

At the same time I've read threads and articles outside the forum on how some people have even reported replacing their RFT up to 8 times over a certain period, that's insane! 8 times? What are these tires made off? Wood? Reading all of this makes me think that a BMW owner has to change their tires once a month or something.

In reality how long do these tires last? It seems that they fail just by looking at them, I mean, could it be that all these cases of people reporting RFT failure are just isolated cases? What would you guys recommend?
Depends on your roads I guess, but you are asking a couple of different questions in here. One is is wheel and tire insurance "worth it" and I bought it the first time in 2013 and decided not to get it this time, so no I dont think its worth it. Easier to just set aside money and replace tires if needed. The 12-1400 they are going to charge you for wheels and tires could buy quite a few.

As for the run flats, my 2013 came with them (run flat summer tires actually) and they lasted the entire lease, give or take... 27k miles. I had 2 that needed replacing due to WEAR (which is NOT covered under wheel and tire insurance btw, but IS covered under lease protection turn in at lease end). I did not replace the ones due to wear because I was turning the car in, and I had the lease turn in 5k protection and wanted to get SOMETHING from it.

I dont find the run flats to be as bad as people say... but I am not sure if that is because mine are summer tire run flats (instead of all season run flats), or that I am less sensitive to it, or because I now have the adaptive suspension.

My recommendation would be to drive on them for a month or so, and determine if the ride bothers you. If so, then swap the tires (knowing that if you have a flat you need to make sure you have a way to deal with it one way or another).

If it doesnt, then you saved your money by not rushing out and swapping them because "you read about it". This way YOU make the decision (just my take on it).

As for the tire and wheel insurance, all of those type purchases are personal, but just think how many tires you have had to replace on your normal commute now. It will likely be the same on the BMW. If you have had to replace 5 tires this year, then maybe you should get the tire and wheel protection. If you havent had to replace a tire due to a blowout or anything in a few years, you can probably skip it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some piercing highway debri punctured my rear passenger tire which resulted in a $392 Bridgestone Potenza S001 255/35R19 replacement. My new car read approx 1.5k on the odometer. After reading up on the numerous posts on advantages of non-RFT vs RFT, I've been considering non-RFT when my OEMs wear out. Car's not a lease so I can't just take them off & set them aside for lease end.

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
RFT has little to do with tread life. Most of the complaints in this regard are those with soft summer tires. The AS Continental RFT's on my F30 lasted about 38,000 miles. Not great, not terrible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on your roads I guess, but you are asking a couple of different questions in here. One is is wheel and tire insurance "worth it" and I bought it the first time in 2013 and decided not to get it this time, so no I dont think its worth it. Easier to just set aside money and replace tires if needed. The 12-1400 they are going to charge you for wheels and tires could buy quite a few.

As for the run flats, my 2013 came with them (run flat summer tires actually) and they lasted the entire lease, give or take... 27k miles. I had 2 that needed replacing due to WEAR (which is NOT covered under wheel and tire insurance btw, but IS covered under lease protection turn in at lease end). I did not replace the ones due to wear because I was turning the car in, and I had the lease turn in 5k protection and wanted to get SOMETHING from it.

I dont find the run flats to be as bad as people say... but I am not sure if that is because mine are summer tire run flats (instead of all season run flats), or that I am less sensitive to it, or because I now have the adaptive suspension.

My recommendation would be to drive on them for a month or so, and determine if the ride bothers you. If so, then swap the tires (knowing that if you have a flat you need to make sure you have a way to deal with it one way or another).

If it doesnt, then you saved your money by not rushing out and swapping them because "you read about it". This way YOU make the decision (just my take on it).

As for the tire and wheel insurance, all of those type purchases are personal, but just think how many tires you have had to replace on your normal commute now. It will likely be the same on the BMW. If you have had to replace 5 tires this year, then maybe you should get the tire and wheel protection. If you havent had to replace a tire due to a blowout or anything in a few years, you can probably skip it.
Then it's just a matter of what road conditions are right? Right now I have not had trouble with the car that I currently have, there are a few small potholes here and there but I have never hit anything really bad around here.

I'll just see what happens then, cause spending $1,600 for tire and wheel insurance does not sound too good.

RFT has little to do with tread life. Most of the complaints in this regard are those with soft summer tires. The AS Continental RFT's on my F30 lasted about 38,000 miles. Not great, not terrible.
38,000 miles is not bad if you have a 3 year 36,000 mile lease, and I'm guessing the 320i comes with all weather tires then?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My not so scientific impression over scanning lots of these threads is that the larger diameter lower profile tires are more prone to injury on rough roads. So those 19"-20" rims look nice, but then the tires have a higher failure rate.
I have summer and winter 18" rfts and have 21k on the car with nary a problem in spite of some ugly potholes and driving up a curb or two at modest speed. Uh, oh...did I just jinx myself? Good thing I have run flats!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My not so scientific impression over scanning lots of these threads is that the larger diameter lower profile tires are more prone to injury on rough roads. So those 19"-20" rims look nice, but then the tires have a higher failure rate.
I have summer and winter 18" rfts and have 21k on the car with nary a problem in spite of some ugly potholes and driving up a curb or two at modest speed. Uh, oh...did I just jinx myself? Good thing I have run flats!
You know what? Those were my thoughts exactly at one point, just that it seemed that everyone was reporting problems with their run flats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive been wearing runflats over 6 years. They seem to be good for about 3 years before needing replacement at $250 each. Personally Ive had no problem with the properties of the RFTs and prefer them.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Don't make any decisions using the online comments of others. Just drive the car for several thousand miles and get used to it. Then decide if you have a problem that needs fixing.

I think you will find that most people spend more for tire and wheel protection than they receive in compensation. The product would be unprofitable otherwise.

You are saying that some owners have replaced all four run flat tires 8 times over the expected life of the tire??? Makes no sense to me.

In reality most all season run flats should go close to 40,000 miles if tire pressure is maintained and the car is driven reasonably.

I'm at 25,000 miles on Michelin Primacy MXV's and they look good for another 25k. They do not just fail for no reason. They fail for being driven over something that irreparably damages the tire like any other tire. The run flat is designed to allow you to continue to drive safely to get service.

It's important for you to consider how many times you have had a flat while driving. I can't tell you the last time it happened to me and I've been driving quite a while. The baby and full spare tires in my previous cars were all virginal. Only used to do home tire rotation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
465 Posts
... and I'm guessing the 320i comes with all weather tires then?
Check this to be sure. When I leased I had to ask for them. BMW didn't resist, but I did have to ask.

Personally I have the Pirelli's on my 2015 335xi and they seem to be wearing OK. I check the pressure on the monitor every once in a while, especially when we go from cold to hot or back again and if the car's been unused for a while.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've got about 15K on my 2 year old 428 and the OEM runflats are going to need replaced before winter. Now I do drive a -bit- aggressively, but not 16year old testosterone aggressive..... Im disappointed in the mileage myself. and if anything I keep them high side inflated, never low.

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
I've got about 15K on my 2 year old 428 and the OEM runflats are going to need replaced before winter. Now I do drive a -bit- aggressively, but not 16year old testosterone aggressive..... Im disappointed in the mileage myself. and if anything I keep them high side inflated, never low.
Are they all season or summer tires?

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
My set of OEM Pirelli P7 was swapped [email protected], it probably had enough tread to go another 3k to 5k miles. Also, the tires were not rotated, but still wore pretty well, my guess is that the stiff sidewalls of RFT maintain the roundness and balance of the tires and help to extend tread life.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,686 Posts
Some piercing highway debri punctured my rear passenger tire which resulted in a $392 Bridgestone Potenza S001 255/35R19 replacement. My new car read approx 1.5k on the odometer. After reading up on the numerous posts on advantages of non-RFT vs RFT, I've been considering non-RFT when my OEMs wear out. Car's not a lease so I can't just take them off & set them aside for lease end.
Did you check the tire warranty in your glove box? I thought Bridgestone had a road hazard warranty?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you check the tire warranty in your glove box? I thought Bridgestone had a road hazard warranty?
They probably do but the sales manager & client advisor both said I was on my own since new car buyers without the Tire Protection add-on were not protected in cases like mine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts