BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
My wife drives the 325i
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"We're interested in anything that moves the butt and the heart." I.D. The International Design Magazine May 2002, pg. 62.

Chris Bangle explains his design philosophy about the lifestyle products line in the article. Evidently, Adrian van Hooydonk has overseen the development of Mini life style products including a cookoo clock with a miniature car that pops out. Furthermore, Bangle describes the DesignworksUSA building as a "dreadnought" sailing through the surrounding office park.

Amazing.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
in_d_haus said:
:tsk: :rolleyes: :dunno:
If you have a specific comment or criticism, please express it using actual words, if you are capable. These silly animated icon "things" fail to communicate anything to me.

What are you trying to say? Speak up.

·
3,440 Posts
Parump said:
"We're interested in anything that moves the butt and the heart." I.D. The International Design Magazine May 2002, pg. 62.

Chris Bangle explains his design philosophy about the lifestyle products line in the article. Evidently, Adrian van Hooydonk has overseen the development Mini life style products including a cookoo clock with a miniature car that pops out. Furthermore, Bangle describes the DesignworksUSA building as a "dreadnought" sailing through the surrounding office park.

Amazing.
Well, that it explains it. The MINI lifestyle products suck! :thumbdwn: I now know why.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: My clock

A. van Hooydonk said:
Why shouldn't I be proud of this?

It's elegent, understated and functional while still having an irreverent flair. Which is exactly what I intended.
Great Job Adrian! :thumb:

I like the Coo-coo, even better than the Z8 speedometer clock :D

G

·
Parump said:
Furthermore, Bangle describes the DesignworksUSA building as a "dreadnought" sailing through the surrounding office park.
Um, how anyone who porports to have a sense of style and fashion (yeah, right) would ever sayanything even remotely positive about an "office park" is beyond me. Nothing cool could ever come out of an office park. It needs to spawn from a vibrant CITY. Office parks squelch creativity and individuality and morph it into a bland assimilated commonality. How he could say THIS part of that quote with a straight face is almost more amazing to me than the "butt" comment.

But, yeah, his "butt" fetish is pretty scary too.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Yes, Chris Bangle actually said this!

TD said:

Um, how anyone who porports to have a sense of style and fashion (yeah, right) would ever sayanything even remotely positive about an "office park" is beyond me. Nothing cool could ever come out of an office park. It needs to spawn from a vibrant CITY. Office parks squelch creativity and individuality and morph it into a bland assimilated commonality. How he could say THIS part of that quote with a straight face is almost more amazing to me than the "butt" comment.

But, yeah, his "butt" fetish is pretty scary too.
Although I agree about the "vibrant CITY" commment, almost all of SoCal is suburban hell anyway....

that's not really a reason to put down Designwerks...

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Yes, Chris Bangle actually said this!

nate328Ci said:

Although I agree about the "vibrant CITY" commment, almost all of SoCal is suburban hell anyway....

that's not really a reason to put down Designwerks...
Exactly. While I live and work in 'burbs, I know that the only cool places are in the CITIES. You can't be "hip" in the 'burbs. Impossible. And the "office park" is one of the most evil suburban sprawl manifestations.

I think it's spread-out-ness is my biggest complaint about So Cal.

Sprawl... Ugh!

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Yes, Chris Bangle actually said this!

TD said:

Exactly. While I live and work in 'burbs, I know that the only cool places are in the CITIES. You can't be "hip" in the 'burbs. Impossible. And the "office park" is one of the most evil suburban sprawl manifestations.

I think it's spread-out-ness is my biggest complaint about So Cal.

Sprawl... Ugh!
If someone wants to live in the suburbs, I don't care, but I WILL NOT and don't even like going out there. It is too new and everything is just a turn off. I hate how everthing is designed to show a layer of weath and opulence, but you know it is all phony :thumbdwn: There are suburbs everwhere, but I like the city much more. The only reason to go out is for golf, but I hate playing on courses through subdivisions too :thumbdwn:

20,210 Posts
Suburbs rule ;)

I don't really live in the 'burbs, but I live on the outskirts of Austin. You can't beat the value that you get in land/housing on the outskirts. In Austin anyway, you can get a 3000 square foot house on 1/2 to 1 acre on the outskirts for the same price as a n 1800 sq. ft. house on a 1/4 acre would cost in town. Oh, and the bigger house is only a few years old, and the smaller one was built in the 1930s. :rolleyes:

That's a no-brainer to me.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
atyclb said:
Suburbs rule ;)

I don't really live in the 'burbs, but I live on the outskirts of Austin. You can't beat the value that you get in land/housing on the outskirts. In Austin anyway, you can get a 3000 square foot house on 1/2 to 1 acre on the outskirts for the same price as a n 1800 sq. ft. house on a 1/4 acre would cost in town. Oh, and the bigger house is only a few years old, and the smaller one was built in the 1930s. :rolleyes:

That's a no-brainer to me.
I guess if you enjoy being 50 miles from town :dunno:

Maybe if you live on or near Lake Travis or LBJ, it would be more acceptable.

Ever been up to Horseshoe Bay? Those courses are fawking hard as hell :eek: :eek: I think Ram Rock is the hard one :eek: "Ok, hit the ball 230yds and land it in a 6 sq. foot area, oh and don't be long or short to avoid the sand and miss the creek on the left" :D

20,210 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I guess if you enjoy being 50 miles from town :dunno:

Maybe if you live on or near Lake Travis or LBJ, it would be more acceptable.

Ever been up to Horseshoe Bay. Those courses are fawking hard as hell :eek: :eek:
50 miles? I'm talking 10 miles at the most. This is Austin we're talking about here, not Houston. :D

Not been to Horshoe Bay, but hear that Ramrock and whatever the other one is (applerock?) are great courses.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
atyclb said:

50 miles? I'm talking 10 miles at the most. This is Austin we're talking about here, not Houston. :D

Not been to Horshoe Bay, but hear that Ramrock and whatever the other one is (applerock?) are great courses.
You should go, I think the slope is somewhere around 146.

Hardest course that I have ever played :eek:

·
My wife drives the 325i
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adrian,

Thank you for the comments!

With the new organic shapes and revolutionary forms, maybe Mr. Bangle's comments reflect an underlying, fundamental change in the direction of BMW’s industrial design.

Given that Raymond Leowy coined the phrase for American automobiles "jukeboxes on wheels," how would you describe your BMW car designs? Would I be presumptuous to guess a response such as “the designs speak for themselves?”

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
A. van Hooydonk said:

If you have a specific comment or criticism, please express it using actual words, if you are capable. These silly animated icon "things" fail to communicate anything to me.

What are you trying to say? Speak up.
Hmmm... That "our" (UGH!!!) Adrian is an A$$?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts