BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Yesterday my car rolled over 150K, yesterday something didn't sound right..

1331 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  nsogiba
I was looking forward to posting my cars 150K birthday all happy, because it's been running like a champ for the past 6 months!

And then, like clock work.. car rolls over 150K and BOOM same day.. power steering pulley is completely crooked (still spins though). Anyone had this happen to them? Haven't had a chance to see wtf happened, but I assume I'm getting a new pump.. Attached a pic for reference. One of the pics is un-marked, but since it's a little hard to see I circled what happened. The pulley is not at all on the same plane as the belt anymore.

So pissed too, I took a bunch of pics of my odo at a nice even 150,000 and randomly they got deleted off my iPhone too.. never had that happen in 3 years of having an iPhone.. lame. So I got it again at 150,005 :p

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I have seen other forums where either the power steering bracket has cracked OR power steering pulley goes crooked from cracked pulley. Not sure which it is in your case without close up pics.
Nice, yea I didn't have time to investigate this morning since I had to get to work, at least I have a motorcycle for alternate transport, whew. I'll see if I can take a closer look tonight.. Thanks for the ideas though!
I have seen other forums where either the power steering bracket has cracked OR power steering pulley goes crooked from cracked pulley. Not sure which it is in your case without close up pics.
Could just be the pic but is your temp guage a bit on the hot side?
Agreed - looks like it's running over "1/2" Better get that checked out...

Congrats on 150k...:thumbup:
Could just be the pic but is your temp guage a bit on the hot side?
Believe I've read about the power steering pump brackets failing on them, I'd recommend a good search on here.

The same belt drives the water pump, if it slipping it probably not driving the pump fast enough hence the raised temp. Fix the power steering pump, then see if you have temp problems.

P.S. I wouldn't even start that engine till the belt issue is addressed.
Good observation on the temp.. luckily its an illusion. My water pump was the last thing to blow up on me in January, and since then haven't had any cooling issues. Actually, I was quite pleased my car made it issue free for a good 6 months / 8 thousand miles haha.

I'll keep ya'll posted
Agreed - looks like it's running over "1/2" Better get that checked out...

Congrats on 150k...:thumbup:
Well you guys called it, power steering bracket busted. What a pile... I saw someone on the forums had theirs welded back together, otherwise it looks like the cheapest I sources so far is http://www.oembimmerparts.com/product_p/32411141570e39.htm

What a ridiculous piece to break. Attached a pic.

Attachments

That belt isn't looking too good either, might as well replace that while you're in there.
Stick the part number in: http://www.furiousmethod.com/

If you haven't already. I'd certainly stick a new belt on it and I'd consider the tensioner/rollers aswell. Looks like one above PS pump could have had fair bit of lateral pressure on it.
Forget about that $325 price, that***8217;s absurd. I bought one from my local Advanced Auto parts for $150 and it has worked PERFECTLY. Same thing happened to me, belt slipped off, temp gauge shot up, battery light came on (alternator wasn***8217;t spinning), etc etc.

Replace the pump yourself, it***8217;s easy as pie. Just unbolt the fittings, leak power steering fluid all over yourself, remove old pump, bolt new one on, attach fittings, fill system, purge bubbles, done. It***8217;s really quite simple.
Mine went on me about a year ago...two of the bolts snapped and my belt snapped. I was lucky I didn't overheat the engine due to the waterpump not running! Got a new one and would do the same if it happened again...no way worth risking it with a welded part on a long distance drive. Mine failed at near 100K miles
Damn, these days and the internet, I didn't even think about going local. Dur... wish I woulda read your post, just placed the order this morning for 3 bills.. ah well. :/
Forget about that $325 price, that's absurd. I bought one from my local Advanced Auto parts for $150 and it has worked PERFECTLY. Same thing happened to me, belt slipped off, temp gauge shot up, battery light came on (alternator wasn't spinning), etc etc.

Replace the pump yourself, it's easy as pie. Just unbolt the fittings, leak power steering fluid all over yourself, remove old pump, bolt new one on, attach fittings, fill system, purge bubbles, done. It's really quite simple.
See if you can cancel or return it. No reason not to try.

And don't feel bad, I always check the internet options first (because of rarity of most parts). Sometimes though, they do stock major components. I needed those components ASAP though, and thought to myself, "well, they probably won't have a relatively uncommon part for a pretty uncommon car with an even more uncommon engine/tranny option, but what the hell, I'll give it a try". I got VERY lucky with mine-1 store had it in stock at a location 15 mins away. When my radiator went, I found one again IN STOCK at a different location 20 mins away. Advance Auto has saved my rear end more than a few times. For this reason I will continue to give them my business.
Damn, these days and the internet, I didn't even think about going local. Dur... wish I woulda read your post, just placed the order this morning for 3 bills.. ah well. :/
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.