BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Certified humanoid
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

I've been looking at getting the BMW genuine auxiliary input retrofit kit (82110149390). My car is a 2003 530i, which I thought should be good for use with this kit. I took the radio out just to be sure before ordering anything and to my dismay saw an 08/02 production date. The exact numbers I have on my radio is:

Model No. CD53 E39/53
P/NO. 65. 12-6 921 960

SW/NO. 50
HW/NO. 45
KW: 33/02
AI: 02

Manufactured: 02 AUGUST 1W

My question is this: Is there a remote chance it'll work with the auxiliary kit, or should I start looking for a new radio?

I know the production date is before 09/02, but searching for the part number I'm finding stickers of units built after 09/02 with the same SW/HW numbers as mine, so I'm hoping there's a snowballs chance in the underworld it might actually work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Everything I have ever read on this indicates that it must be 09/02 production.

Not sure if the CD53 has a separate plug-in for the aux-in or the plug would be in the wiring bundle..... you could look at the wiring harness to verify if a small unused plug is in there.

My car was an 09/02 MY with MKIV navigation, the aux-in connector was located in the wiring bundle to the navi.

·
Certified humanoid
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything I have ever read on this indicates that it must be 09/02 production.

Not sure if the CD53 has a separate plug-in for the aux-in or the plug would be in the wiring bundle..... you could look at the wiring harness to verify if a small unused plug is in there.

My car was an 09/02 MY with MKIV navigation, the aux-in connector was located in the wiring bundle to the navi.
Unfortunately they look very much the same, and yes the aux cables go into the one plug bundle. The only effect of installing with a unit that doesn't support it is that the aux mode simply doesn't show up.

I suppose I could just throw caution to the wind and get the aux kit and try it.

Does anyone know where one might find a list of possible donor vehicles? Should one venture to a junkyard for a post 02/09 CD53...

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

You'll need to cross reference and check as many of the multiple thousands of threads over the years about Aux In / 3.5mm inputs and check realoem for part numbers/revision numbers and see which ones are Aux In capable and then purchase those units to retrofit (youve already done this aspect). Once you find suitable modules, you'll need to buy and hope they're working and if so, continue to work longer term. No one will have a list of donor vehicles.

The technology is old on the oem head units and the Aux in with 3.5mm jacks is similarly old and the quality is quite low. Given also that if you are seen by the cops holding a device to control it and it's connected via 3.5mm audio jacks, you'll be responsible for any accidents/injuries/deaths caused if it's proven you were distracted. I'd suggest reducing/removing that risk by either using a interface kit from the likes of Scosche/motorola/parrot/connects 2 etc so you can control the device and stream music from it safely with the cars oem controls.Or you could ditch the old oem head unit and put in a modern one with BT audio and hands free phone calls and other features built in with safety on the road in mind.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
..and the quality is quite low.
??? It sounds pretty good in both my 528i (basic stereo) and M5 (M audio). As far as needing to pick up the unit, I don't. I use siri to play particular songs or shuffle tracks.

·
Certified humanoid
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll need to cross reference and check as many of the multiple thousands of threads over the years about Aux In / 3.5mm inputs and check realoem for part numbers/revision numbers and see which ones are Aux In capable and then purchase those units to retrofit (youve already done this aspect). Once you find suitable modules, you'll need to buy and hope they're working and if so, continue to work longer term. No one will have a list of donor vehicles.
I was hoping someone might have done this already...

The technology is old on the oem head units and the Aux in with 3.5mm jacks is similarly old and the quality is quite low.
Really? We've had quite a few BMWs within the family and the radio has always seemed pretty solid to me.

Given also that if you are seen by the cops holding a device to control it and it's connected via 3.5mm audio jacks, you'll be responsible for any accidents/injuries/deaths caused if it's proven you were distracted. I'd suggest reducing/removing that risk by either using a interface kit from the likes of Scosche/motorola/parrot/connects 2 etc so you can control the device and stream music from it safely with the cars oem controls.Or you could ditch the old oem head unit and put in a modern one with BT audio and hands free phone calls and other features built in with safety on the road in mind.
This one I can really appreciate, especially here in Florida where every other bozo is driving with their phone in hand... I'd honestly just be turning on a podcast while at in the parking lot before leaving, and turning it off when I arrive at work.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi

Amancuso - generally speaking, the sound quality when using 3.5mm audio jacks for audio in etc is pretty much regarded as 'ok' or 'does the job'. Technically, the signal to noise ration is high, distortion easily happens and even when 'working ok' when the same music is played back by not using 3.5mm jacks, it can and does sound a LOT better indeed. It all depends on what you'd describe as 'good' or 'fantastic' and if the Aux In suits you and sounds good to you then that's fine. The day you listen to a modest setup in a car and you hear some of you fave tracks, your jaw most probably hit the floor as you'll hear so much more and better fidelity.

Jbarb - As per above, there's many owners who don't mind the OEM setup and it's audio quality levels - if you're happy then doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks ! Similarly to above, when you do hear some of your fave tracks played back on a modest upgraded car audio setup, your jaw will most likely hit the floor.

A quick practical example - the next time you are talking to someone important, do so normally and hold ur hand flat across your mouth of a distance of perhaps 1-2 inches. Have the other person do the same. After a few words each in turn move ur hand slowly away and hear/ask the other person what the difference is like. An Aux In is akin to talking with your hand in front of your mouth, you can still hear everything. When you move your hand away, you can still hear everything, but it just sounds so much clearer and precise.

Lastly, although many people are much more responsible and don't hold devices anymore whilst driving, it's unfortunate that still a big number of people aren't responsible. Every now and again, even the best owners/drivers who do use Aux in will pickup the device and it's then the chances of something happening increases. If you do stick with wired Aux In, just be very careful is all I'm saying !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Certified humanoid
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amancuso - generally speaking, the sound quality when using 3.5mm audio jacks for audio in etc is pretty much regarded as 'ok' or 'does the job'. Technically, the signal to noise ration is high, distortion easily happens and even when 'working ok' when the same music is played back by not using 3.5mm jacks, it can and does sound a LOT better indeed. It all depends on what you'd describe as 'good' or 'fantastic' and if the Aux In suits you and sounds good to you then that's fine. The day you listen to a modest setup in a car and you hear some of you fave tracks, your jaw most probably hit the floor as you'll hear so much more and better fidelity.

Jbarb - As per above, there's many owners who don't mind the OEM setup and it's audio quality levels - if you're happy then doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks ! Similarly to above, when you do hear some of your fave tracks played back on a modest upgraded car audio setup, your jaw will most likely hit the floor.

A quick practical example - the next time you are talking to someone important, do so normally and hold ur hand flat across your mouth of a distance of perhaps 1-2 inches. Have the other person do the same. After a few words each in turn move ur hand slowly away and hear/ask the other person what the difference is like. An Aux In is akin to talking with your hand in front of your mouth, you can still hear everything. When you move your hand away, you can still hear everything, but it just sounds so much clearer and precise.
I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this, I shouldn't get the AUX kit for the OEM stereo because there are better sounding solutions out there?

Out of curiosity, what would your proposed alternative to AUX be, sticking to CD?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi Jbarb,

If you *must* stick with the OEM audio, then you are limited to what you can do. You could go the FM transmitter route, the Aux in route and depending which oem setup you have, there's cheap/budget chinese interface wires that tap into the car's loom which you'll see on ebay. Each of these are 'low quality' in terms of audio performance, so if you are just looking for convenience & not bothered too much about sound quality, then do consider them along with the lack of control of the device you connect as they won't have that functionality. If you *must* retain the oem audio and you do want to have better sound quality, then you'll need to look at the many threads over all the forums and upgrade your speakers to the BSW ones which are known to work very well with the OEM audio modules - however these are relatively pricey at around $400 for the fronts.

Another option would be to get an oem interface solution from the brands I mention above, so you can get BT audio streaming, mobile phone calls hands free and voice activated so that you stay safe and they can control your phone as well.

Personally, I've never used the wired Aux in as all my cars have high quality audio installs with zero OEM modules. In the 90's/2000's it was CD's and over recent years I use a mix of an iPod and USB thumbdrives to hold high quality digital music files. I sometimes use Bluetooth to stream from my phone radio stations that broadcast on the Internet using the free TuneIN app.

As I mention above, it depends on what you'd like to do, but wired Aux in is fading from really being needed unless you must stick with old car audio modules.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
I have a detailed thread explaining exactly what is needed and then also how to add sub's

I just dont know where it is.. Let me see if i can find it.. its gotta be a few years old

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
On sound quality of the 3.5mm AUX in, it sounds great in my car. Let's face it, the audio in our cars isn't exactly the latest and greatest cutting edge sound anyway. so I am not going to sweat analog vs. digital. I am very satisfied with my set up. Follow B2's thread. I "think" you could just source a CD53 post 09/02 from ebay and you should be good to go. I am pretty familiar with NAV/DSP cars though and not so much cars where you rig it through the business CD (CD53).

My setup if it helps:
BM53 Radio production date 10/02.
AUX is pre-wired behind the 16x9 MID.
$30 OEM part off Amazon plugs into the pre-wired port behind the MID and then most people install the AUX port in the glove box
I plug a BT receiver into it and it sounds phenomenal playing Apple Music through my phone. SiruisXM app doesn't sound as good.

I have a Rockford Fosgate 12" powered sub in the trunk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts