BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2000 528i, the alarm fuse had been removed due to the alarm apparently going off on a whim...I have replaced that fuse and am waiting to see how that goes. I mention it only in case it is related to my real problem. My real question is this.

I have the old style key with a lock button towards the front of the key, and an unlock and trunk bottom right next to each other, as well as a small LED light. My keyless entry is not currently working, and while the LED was lighting up I replaced the battery just in case it was dead. No luck. My next step was to try and re-pair the key with the car thinking that perhaps it had somehow come unpaired. I have, to the best of my knowledge, followed the directions to a T and in fact have followed every other set of instructions as well in case for some reason another worked---nothing. Assuming I did that correctly can anyone think of a reason why after running through the reprogramming procedure the doors will not go through the process of confirming they are receiving the code?

The central locking system works fine using the key in the door, or via pushing the button in the console. I have checked the 3 fuses in the glove box and all are fine. The place that shows to be the central locking system in the trunk does not have a fuse, but doesn't have a metal contact on both sides. I tried putting the fuse in the space just for giggles but no luck.

Suggestions? Preferably one that doesn't entail $$$ LOL

Thanks for any help
Kris

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Your first problem is most likely either the hood sensor or a dying alarm backup battery. You'll find results if you play with the search or if someone who's got more time than I do writes up a more complete response.

Are you pairing using the correct method? I believe that the two types of keys have a different process, not sure though. There's a self-test you can perform on the old key, holding the lock and either the trunk or unlock button (can't remember which) and watch for a light to turn on. If no light shows, the key may be borked, but, again, search to find out more info about this. QSilver7 has several dozen excellent posts about the locks etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts