BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...i hear a clicking sound in my steering when i turn to the left..and today i have a error message saying i have a leak with power steering oil and i found some spots on my driveway. Plus the level is very low in the box..what could it be?

· Registered
3,667 Posts
The first thing I would do is refill the power steering fluid reservoir then drive it to a mechanic to find the leak for you. Hopefully it's just a hose.

Like Herb said, you need to use CHF11S.

The canister looks like this:

I would not drive around on low power steering fluid which could kill the pump ($1K+) or the rack ($2K+).

· Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
You most likely have the version of active steering, that has the dynamic drive that works off of the power steering system. There should be 2 hose that run across the bottom front part of the motor, that could probably be leaking somewhere. If you do not see anything there, remove the bottom underskirt for a closer inspection. Lets hope your Dynamic Drive system does not have any problems!

Good Luck

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i filled it with the chf11s oil and went to my indy..found no leaks from power steering..but oil around the transmission oil carter..how could the oil level dropped without a leak? And for the transmission he told me its probably the seal..??

· Registered
3,667 Posts
I had to top up my 2006 650i power steering fluid last fall. A small amount leaks past the seals over time which is nothing to worry about.

· Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
What about the little amount of oil he found on the transmission oil box under ter car? Is it a big repair?
It is very common for the tranny pan to crack & leak. I would say it's probably the pan or Mechatronic's Seal. I would suggest changing both if it has not been done. It is a fairly easy DIY that you could do for around 250.00. This should cover all parts & fluid needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.