Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cant believe it! I've heard of "Long life fluids" but to force me into the dealer! Where's the damn fill plug! Do you see it? BTW...this is the cherry 04 20181226_161341.jpeg 20181226_161436.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
I'm not even looking at the front diff....

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
The rear diff has a fill but no drain plug. You need a $5 pump, not a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This, I ended up dropping the entire spare carrier, plus maybe the rear exhaust bolts if I recall. Definitely PITA.
No need to go to extreme s (in this case). however, I did take out the carrier. and to be exact there is a fill plug. only its capped and not in the obvious position (like the 05 and 06) the position on this 04 is at the very top of the rear diff casing (see the blue dot on the pic)...I could barely get my baby finger in there between it and the body floor bottom...this is why I mentioned being forced to visit the dealer. but of course Doug swooped in with clarity from - tis -. Thanks again Doug quick response allowed me to complete the job timely and now the wife has made her Tampa trip in the 04 and I have freedom from the boss for the next 2 days!

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
My 2006 has a drain plug in the back, hidden under the spare tire carrier - hard to see and access.

Ah right I’d forgotten the earlier ones have a drain plug. The N52 cars, at least mine, don’t, and require fluid extraction from the fill plug.

Last time I did mine, I pulled the complete tire carrier to replace the hardware with stainless. I made a special wrench with a 1/2” chunk of Allen welded into a box wrench, on the inside of the wrench’s angled head to avoid having to pull the carrier, but using the pump is definitely easier with the carrier removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Going through your posts and pics again: the fill plug is front and center in both your pics. If you added fluid to the differential vent, like it sounds that you did, your diff is grossly overfilled, will overheat, and grenade before too long, probably before your wife gets back from Tampa.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Going through your posts and pics again: the fill plug is front and center in both your pics. If you added fluid to the differential vent, like it sounds that you did, your diff is grossly overfilled, will overheat, and grenade before too long, probably before your wife gets back from Tampa.

No,,, your miss-reading again

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
No,,, your miss-reading again

Well I can’t make hide nor hair of scattered posts. You said you found the fill plug on TOP of the diff, and I’m saying that is NOT the fill plug, it is the vent. Your first post asked where the fill plug is, and I said it’s dead center of your pics, clear as day. Don’t need new-TIS to find it.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I can’t make hide nor hair of scattered posts. You said you found the fill plug on TOP of the diff, and I’m saying that is NOT the fill plug, it is the vent. Your first post asked where the fill plug is, and I said it’s dead center of your pics, clear as day. Don’t need new-TIS to find it.

Simply put that one hole (on the 04) is the fill and drain hole...when doing this rear diff job on the 05 and 06, they had a drain and fill hole...2 holes! I was not expecting the 04 to have one hole! And there lies my confusion at the time. and I assumed (because it was the earliest model) that BMW intended to have the customer take the car back to BMW. Also remember I indicated that I bearly could reach the capped hole...but you know it to be a vent. I didn't know that it was a vent. nevertheless I DID NOT fill through that inlet/outlet...its not accessible.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Simply put that one hole (on the 04) is the fill and drain hole...when doing this rear diff job on the 05 and 06, they had a drain and fill hole...2 holes! I was not expecting the 04 to have one hole! And there lies my confusion at the time. and I assumed (because it was the earliest model) that BMW intended to have the customer take the car back to BMW. Also remember I indicated that I bearly could reach the capped hole...but you know it to be a vent. I didn't know that it was a vent. nevertheless I DID NOT fill through that inlet/outlet...its not accessible.

Good.

Going back to my original post (like #3 or 4) you have to pump OUT fluid from the fill plug, and then pump fluid in using the same plug. That’s why I said you need a $5 pump. My ‘08 is the same way: suck old fluid out, pump new fluid in.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good.

Going back to my original post (like #3 or 4) you have to pump OUT fluid from the fill plug, and then pump fluid in using the same plug. That’s why I said you need a $5 pump. My ‘08 is the same way: suck old fluid out, pump new fluid in.

You realize my friend by that time was finished with the job

06 X3 199k
05 X3 181k
04 X3 162k

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
No I don’t look at New-TIS, I don’t need a how-to book telling me how to do something.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I don’t look at New-TIS, I don’t need a how-to book telling me how to do something.

It's far more than a how to book my friend...one of the things it does is dis spell myths and it also confirms suspicions. You should try it...it can be a good read. but with all your know how and experience you don't need to be up to date

1 - 19 of 19 Posts