BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys who hate the E65 so much really ought to go drive one... Seriously. Go out, drive one, and then come back here and convince me just how awful the car is...
:D

BTW, the beauty of the car kind of grows on you...
:lmao: :lmao:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Jon Shafer said:
You guys who hate the E65 so much really ought to go drive one... Seriously. Go out, drive one, and then come back here and convince me just how awful the car is...

BMW put on an auto-x for you right?

I'll bet that was fun. They had an S Class too, right?

Go BMW :bigpimp:

(I suppose you have to get used to it, if they stare at you while you are sitting in your office :p)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Jon Shafer said:

me and ayn drove on at the ultimate drive event here in austin. it drove great. and the brakes. WOW. it drives great. idrive isnt so hot. i'd imagine it'd be hard to manage and drive. i thought it was an excellent ride. definately handled really well (as did all the cars, even the x5, amazed). but i cannot get over the exterior styling. i think i wouldnt mind having it in the fam (i.e. dad buys/drives it, lets me take it out occasionally), but i dont know if i'd want it. boring as it was, i really liked bmws, old philosophy of same car, three sizes. and i hope that 7 series styling isnt the model of what's to come. that said, mr. shafer you are right. driving the car gives a whole new dimension.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
So whats the price and option code for the 'brown paper bag' cover? :lmao:

·
hockey-holic
322 Posts
Kaz, :lmao:

Eugine, unfortunately, it may be a sign of things to come. I saw a new pic of the 5er in a magazine lately (March's Roundel? ok, I'm behind...) and it has the hideous rear end/trunk of the E65....to think that a 5er might have been my next car...no longer.:bawling:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Re: Re: You guys who hate the E65 so much...

nate328Ci said:

BMW put on an auto-x for you right?

I'll bet that was fun. They had an S Class too, right?

Go BMW :bigpimp:

(I suppose you have to get used to it, if they stare at you while you are sitting in your office :p)
the service guys at the dealer i go to were talking about that. the training in florida or something. said the 7er out ran the s easy in the autox-esque course

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
exBMWannabe said:
Kaz, :lmao:

Eugine, unfortunately, it may be a sign of things to come. I saw a new pic of the 5er in a magazine lately (March's Roundel? ok, I'm behind...) and it has the hideous rear end/trunk of the E65....to think that a 5er might have been my next car...no longer.:bawling:
damn, looks like by the time i can afford an m5 i wont want it.... (=

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Jon Shafer said:

I'm going to when the Ultimate Drive comes to town, if possible. But as I've said many, many times before, my problems with the E65 have nothing to do with the way it drives (or even, really, with the E65 at all). I'm not in the market for a car like that, nor will I ever be. No stick, no sale.

My objection to the E65 is purely aesthetic, and is ONLY meaningful inasmuch that I fear the E65's puke-inducing optics will spread like a cancer to other models in the BMW range. You can see it happening already in the Z4, which I actually may find more distasteful than the E65 (something I did not think possible).

I hope and pray people do not buy the E65 so that BMW will realize the error of its ways and stop Bangle's idiocy before it reaches cars I might buy. Driving it won't change any of that. It could go from 0-60 in one second, get 5000 mpg, pull 20g on the skidpad, and produce 3 db on interior noise while doing so and I wouldn't care.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Re: Re: You guys who hate the E65 so much...

JST said:

I'm going to when the Ultimate Drive comes to town, if possible. But as I've said many, many times before, my problems with the E65 have nothing to do with the way it drives (or even, really, with the E65 at all). I'm not in the market for a car like that, nor will I ever be. No stick, no sale.
jst, it is a dream to drive. just what i'd want from a lux cruiser. big, but handles. big, but fast. big, but stops well.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Jon-

all talk to ugly styling and good handling aside, don't you think that the interior of the e65 is kind of poor in terms of quality of materials and feel?

-Look at the shiny boom box type of plastic used for overhead console that surrounds the light and sunroof controls
-push in the a pillar covers and headliner-- they bend easily and feel really cheap. Try that on an old 7 or an e46 for that matter- much better build
-feel and look at the idrive controller-- the center piece of the whole car. Its plastic could have come from an early 80s boom box. You'd atleast expect them to have used real aluminum and maybe leather for this part. Even if Nissan put that on the Altima people would say that it felt and looked cheap.
-Touch and fiddle w/ the fiddly and poor feeling and poorly located seat controls. Listen to the sound of the motor-- its not a strong deep sound-- its kind of a cheap sound.
-Cheap feeling headlight switch
-Look at the cheap grey plastic that surrounds the climate controls
-feel the action of the climate control knobs-- not nicely weighted or damped. the knobs feel and cheap and plasticky
-Look at the cheap grey plastic that forms the accent lines on the doors. Compare that w/ any of the trim in an e39, e46 or e38. Feel the sharp plasticky edge where it kind of sticks out on the bottom. The e38 had solidly affixed accent trim as does the e39. The e46's is a bit wobbly but still much better than this.
The e46 aluminum/titatiunum trim is much nicer than this atleast.
-Listen to the door thunk-- and compare that w/ an e38-- the e65 sounds kind of tinny.
-look and feel the cheap looking and feeling telephone keypad that pops out of the dash.
-Feel and listen to the action of the 2 wooden drawers that pop out of the middle of the dash--- again, cheap feeling.
-Listen to the loud and unrefined sound of the motor that closes the trunk lid.
-There's more- i'm sure. But pretty much nothing looks or feels quite as good as it should on a 70k+ car. Or even a 30k car.
-I think the cheapness is magnified by the minimalist nature of the interior. While nice in concept, for something like that to work- all of hte materias need to feel and look really good.
Compare these features to the 3, 5 and former 7 series-- or any Audi, VW and even Mercedes. Cheap in comparison.

I'm sorry-- its just really obvious that BMW is cutting costs in an obvious way and think that customers won't notice. Mercedes learned its lesson on cheap feeling interiors and is improving things in its latest round of models. Even the current S class whose interior was rightly criticzed when it came out is much better built than the e65's.

YEah, the e65 may drive great-- but a 70k luxury sedan needs to be better built. Personally, I think it should look better too- but that's just my opinion. THe cheapness of the materials is less subjective. Its almost a GM like approach- make a really powerful big car that uses lots of cheap materials and has lots of gadgets.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: You guys who hate the E65 so much...

eugeneDC/TX said:

the service guys at the dealer i go to were talking about that. the training in florida or something. said the 7er out ran the s easy in the autox-esque course
Yep they ran an autocross in Fla. My rep went down for a few days back in March and said he was really impressed with how they handled the course.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Jon,
I would doubt that you could find anyone that will criticize the E65 on it's technical merits... it's a great car from that standpoint.

It's just too unattractive for some of us and no amount of technical superiority will offset that.

I have tried to like the E65, I go and look at them every time I'm at the dealer and finally saw one on the road this past weekend. The look has never grown on me, quite the opposite.

IMHO,
Haus

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: You guys who hate the E65 so much...

PM 325xiT said:

Yep they ran an autocross in Fla. My rep went down for a few days back in March and said he was really impressed with how they handled the course.
the reps said on the course they let the s class go first through the first turn then started the 7, and without hard driving caught it by turn 2 because the handling was so much better on the7 and they could carry more speed into turns and twisties

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
For a big car, I am sure it drives well, but that does not change the fact that it was born looking like a retard.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: You guys who hate the E65 so much...

PM 325xiT said:

Yup. It was in Miami. My sales advisor attended that one. But I think that was just one of them. If I remember right, the one Jon attended was in LV... :dunno:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You guys who hate the E65 so much...

ALEX325i said:

Yup. It was in Miami. My sales advisor attended that one. But I think that was just one of them. If I remember right, the one Jon attended was in LV... :dunno:
I believe you are absolutely right alex. Homestead is coming to mind.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Phil, what are you doing in an E65 thread ? :D

BTW, How many ACS pills so far for today ? :bigpimp:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Phil, what are you doing in an E65 thread ? :D

BTW, How many ACS pills so far for today ? :bigpimp:

Only here because of the reference to autocross and Homestead Race Track:)

I had to call in a refill if that tells you anything:yikes: :p Just think what I'd be like if you come through with an B3.3 import for me:eeps:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
PM 325xiT said:
I had to call in a refill if that tells you anything:yikes: :p
Hmm, the situation must be much more critical than I imagined. Clem must be using a new kind of virus :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts