BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
After looking at that mess, kinda makes you wonder how the heck they put these things together from scratch in a week.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Good luck! :thumb: I'm sure the results will be worth it.

Note to self: Don't try this at home. :yikes:

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
That's what I was thinking too... rattles. Parts (more specifically softer materials such as rubber and plastic) don't tend to go back together quite the same once they have been installed, then taken apart only to be put back together again. My grandfather used to own a body shop (they did German and Italian cars in Beverly Hills, lots of 'interesting' stories believe me heh) and he would often talk about this problem.

Being a rattle freak, I don't think I would have ever done that without buying all new part$ to put it back together. However I must say that I really admire your bravery. That is quite a project you have on your hands! It's a shame that they wouldn't build the car the way you wanted it from the factory. :tsk:

Anyhow, I hope you post a follow-up and let us know how it went (and how it looks!). :D

--SONET

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Hey Jon, did you ever find that penny I told you I thought fell out of my pocket while we were cruising arond together last week?

:D

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ObD said:
Good luck! :thumb: I'm sure the results will be worth it.

Note to self: Don't try this at home. :yikes:
Everything is being replaced with new parts.

However, I've done this countless times before on customer cars. I don't remember a single one of them ever complaining about rattles after the fact. E36, E46, or Z3 series.

The trick is to put each fastener in a manilla envelop and mark where it came from. That, and use TIS for torque values on everything.

Natural Brown leather on a Boxster S is about a $5500 option if you pick the pieces right, and I'm in at about the same price range including new seats.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
JonM said:
I should have bought a kit. Would have been cheaper.

I wanted a color combination that the factory wouldn't build. For any price. So I'm building it myself. Don't think I'm not pi$$ed about it either.
what freaking color combo did you want? how could it be worth that much work? :rolleyes:

they're just cars. :rolleyes:

20,210 Posts
good to have you here Ron.

Yes--you can post up to 7 or eight pics per post.

you have to use ubb code, but this board makes it simple. When you want to insert a pic, just click on the IMG button above the reply window, below the message icons. Then paste in the url of the pic

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Jon,

How could you do that to your car :yikes: :yikes:

. . . and to think I am nervous about trying to replace my wood trim with the Aluminum trim in my Ci.

Please post a picture when you are done putting it back together again !!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.