BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do? Where do you go? What is a 'must-see' in your opinion?

Picking the car up Monday morning and need to drop it off Tuesday before closing (and we have the factory tour Tuesday at 1800).

Visiting some castles sounds great. But what else? We do not have navigation so I'm trying to plan ahead as completely as possible. Figure in traffic?

Thank you... and with two semi-professional photographers, you know we'll have some good photos for you!! :thumbup:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
It depends - do you want to spend more time in the car seeing things through the windshield (not a terrible option) or drive someplace to visit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, I guess a little of both? We obviously want to drive the car (to it's fullest?), and enjoy it; but we want to see some of Bavaria's sights too!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
You might also consider a day trip to either Berchtesgaden or Salzburg. Much to see and beautiful places to visit.

In addition, you can spend one day doing castles.

By the way, since you are into photography, you might find my book on the History of Photography of interest.

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
smytheee said:
hmm, I guess a little of both? We obviously want to drive the car (to it's fullest?), and enjoy it; but we want to see some of Bavaria's sights too!
Can't really drive the car to its fullest during break-in period :(. Go for the sightseeing!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jspira said:
You might also consider a day trip to either Berchtesgaden or Salzburg. Much to see and beautiful places to visit.

In addition, you can spend one day doing castles.

By the way, since you are into photography, you might find my book on the History of Photography of interest.
Thanks, and I'm getting an error on your website.

·
I roll thusly
58 Posts
For a drive, I'd agree with the Saltzburg idea or you could take the romantic road down to Neuschwanstein (I mean, if you're going to see castles, you might as well see THE castle). The nice thing about the Saltzburg option is that you can open up the car on the Autobahn south of Munich around Bad Aibling (go on... see what she can do: your one an only chance! On our first ED I had our M3 pushing 135mph within 15 minutes of pulling away from the delivery center. Just don't SUSTAIN the high speeds).

If you've never been to Munich before, take the tour, climb the olympic tower (really cool shots of BMW HQ: "The Mother Ship"), visith the Rathaus glock, and have a beer at the HB (yes, it's touristy, but still pretty damn fun to drink a beer bigger than your head while listening to an oompah band at a table with 20 brand new friends). Eat weisswurst and leberkase for breakfast someplace and say "gruss gott" to everyone you meet.

You'll have a blast.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would say to go to the Dachau concentration camp site. It's certainly not glamorous, but it is a great bit of recent history. You will _feel_ the history when you walk onto the "parade" ground. The museum that they've set up in the two reconstructed "barracks" and in the administration building is very well done.

You really won't have a huge amount of time to do anything outside of Munich, since even if you get to the DC right when they open, you're still looking at 1.5 hours before you actually drive away.

Salzburg is awesome, and the scenery going down there is incredible. Shoot down there after you get the car, then go to Dachau on Tuesday, since it's a straight shot from there to the Harms dropoff location. Make sure you go up to the fortress there and get some great pics of the old part of Salzburg as well as the valley on the other side of the castle.

-MrB

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
You can probably do Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau, Linderhof and Weisskirche the day of your delivery. It would be a little crowded timewise, even though spacewise they are all strewn along this 50-60km alpine route. But damn, what a sight! :thumbup:

Day 2 I'd go for Salzburg and/or Grossglockner.

After some more thinking... Come to think of it, the castles might be a little stretch to do in one day. Better to take the 2 days and sleep overnight in Fussen or Reute.

As for my personal taste, Neuschwanstein has a great location, but there's nothing really to visit inside - I'd skip that. I liked Linderhof a lot better, plus it has some superb gardens. And Weisskirche is the epitome of exterior understatement/interior overachievement, quite a contrast.

·
Registered
269 Posts
great suggestions....taking notes....

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
HudZo said:
...and have a beer at the HB (yes, it's touristy, but still pretty damn fun to drink a beer bigger than your head while listening to an oompah band at a table with 20 brand new friends)
Yes, the euro snobs turn their noses up at this place, and they all say "too touristy." But we're tourists, and we went, and we had a 'ellava good time! :drink: :beerchug:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
mdsbuc said:
Yes, the euro snobs turn their noses up at this place, and they all say "too touristy." But we're tourists, and we went, and we had a 'ellava good time!
It's the type of place you go once in my opinion (just like Times Square for New Year's eve).

But after that, you can go to the more authentic places where the locals go.

·
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
162 Posts
I am in much the same boat -- arriving on a Wednesday, dropping off on Friday afternoon. I thought about Salzburg, but understand that it's particularly busy this year with the Mozart anniversary. My current thinking, for what it's worth, is pick-up and BMW exhibit on Day 1, drive down to the Bavarian Alps on Day 2, and then do some sightseeing in town and drop off on Day 3. The Michelin Green Guide to Germany has what appear to be some interesting excursions for either a 1/2 day or a full day from Munich, and I also got the AAA Spiral Guide to Munich which has some nice ideas as well. Frommer's has a book of favorite German driving trips (and one for Austria as well), but I didn't think I'd be over long enough to merit it. I also was hoping to catch a factory tour but, sadly, they're shut down the week of my delivery at both Munich and Dingolfing. :cry: On the positive side, I did get my clock this week :bigpimp:

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
Go drink Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr or Spaten. They are the best beers you'll ever have!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
If you want to go north of Munich but don't want to do too much Autobahn driving due to break-in restrictions, I have a couple of places to add to the Dachau recommendation. Go to Schliessheim. There are two destinations depending on your interests:

the Schloss (actually three castles), with a description at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleissheim_Palace

and the aircraft museum (Flugwerft), a remote branch of the Deutches Museum. It is the former Bavarian Air Force field, the former service base for the old Munich center city airport (which was approx. where the Olympic Stadium is now), and has an open restoration shop as well as a museum. See:
http://www.deutsches-museum.de/zweig/werft/e_fws.htm

(No. I don't work for the Schleissheim tourist agency. But I did think the Flugwerft has one of the great aircraft collections of the world.)

If you want to go south, but not as far as Salzburg, the lake area (Funfseeland) has many interest spots, including scenic areas, cutesy towns (such as Bad Tolz), an expressionist museum (the Buchheim), and even its own "Mad Ludwig" castle on Herreninsel, an island in the middle of Chiemsee.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Are you planning on overnighting in Munich on Monday night? If not, then I would recommend:

- Out of Munich, head south to GAP (Garmich-Partenkirchen) and if you're into the castles and what not, visit Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, etc.. If you've never seen them, a visit to Linderhof is worth while. Neuschwanstein is worth the hike up and around but not worth the tickets to visit its interior (its interesting but a little TO amusement ride-ish for my tastes). If you're not into the castles, GAP has a bunch to offer too - Zugspitz, Partnachklamm, lots of hikes around lakes/mountain trails if you make the time for it.
You'll get loads of good photos and enjoy the autobahn drive as well as out of car excursions.
- After GAP, head out onto the Alpenstrasse, west towards the Bodensee (Lake Constance). You'll get your fill of switchbacks and beautiful mountain vistas. Take your pick of a final destination from Lindau im Bodensee, Meersburg, or any of the other dorfs that front the Bodensee. Great wines, great scenery (with the swiss alps reflecting off of the lake) and quiet/relaxed location. Overnight here and spend a good part of your Tuesday exploring.

- Or you could head east out of Munich to Herrnchiemsee (if Ludwig's palaces are of interest to you - if not continue on to Berchtesgaden). With the boat ride to the Herrninsel (where Herrnchiemsee is located), it'll take the better part of the day.
- After Herrnchiemsee, continue Southeast to Berchtesgaden/Salzburg to explore that evening and the following day. Koenigsee, Eaglesnest, saltmines, and lots and lots of natural, unspoiled scenery.

- Or head northeast to Regensburg, Nuernberg and Passau if you like to spend more time in the cities. Each of these cities has a great mix of city sites, middle age history, and Bavarian culture to spend several interesting days in each one. In fact, as of next year, Regensburg is supposed to become a UNESCO world heritage site.

- Or stay put and explore Munich. Yeah, you won't put any miles on the car but Munich itself is worth the better part of a week to explore.

Regardless of which direction you go, you're bound to have a great time. That is the beauty of ED and Munich.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks Brian, all these sound great! we were originally thinking of overnighting back in Munich but maybe we can change that plan.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is a thread from a few weeks ago but just wanted to thank everyone for some fantastic ideas -- I am taking notes for things to do with the few days that I'll have in Munich area as part of my upcoming ED trip in a few weeks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bk330ci said:
This is a thread from a few weeks ago but just wanted to thank everyone for some fantastic ideas -- I am taking notes for things to do with the few days that I'll have in Munich area as part of my upcoming ED trip in a few weeks!
:thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.