BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm borrowing a 2000 SL500 with the AMG Sport package while my car is in the shop at the moment...
Too much wheel! Too much tire!

It tramlines like crazy, rides like crap, and can't even corner with the wallowy suspension. (Which has massive squat and dive, as well.) I suspect I'd be MUCH happier with 16" wheels and 225 tires on it. Huge, heavy cruisers were just not meant to have 245/45-18 and 275/40-18 tires.

And to top it all off, it's freaking cold and it's been raining! :mad:

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
My girlfriend's father has that car...Beautiful vehicle. His is a sort of dark silver with grey interior. You are right, it does have enormous wheels and tires, but I have never experienced a poor ride in it. What happens exactly?

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you ever driven it?

Lots of tramlining with numb, really heavy steering gets tiring pretty quickly. I guess I really just miss my Bimmer. :) I always have fun borrowing it for short periods of time, but... The other reason is that it's kind of hard to modulate the throttle. You have to push very hard in order to depress it, but then, if you don't let off a bit immediately after the pedal starts depressing, it can get kind of hairy.

Edit: The y2k models also had a reworked suspension designed to introduce a lot of understeer. If his is pre-y2k, it probably rides a lot better. My parents had a '97 SL500 (first one in the DC area with a glass top), until it was lemoned back. The suspension was totally different. 2001 models got ABC, which, judging by the S55, would most likely make a tremendous difference, as well.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Yeah, I don't really understand how so many people are able to tolerate large wheels and tires (18" and above). I'm even sick of my 17" 225/45s and thinking of trading them for someone's 16" tires and wheels. I agree that 16" is all most people really need-- even on "high performance" cars.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny thing is that it doesn't bother me at all in the S55. But the steering is light and communicative in that car... (Mind you, at the moment, E36 steering feels light, you really have to manhandle the wheel in the SL.)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
robg said:
Yeah, I don't really understand how so many people are able to tolerate large wheels and tires (18" and above). I'm even sick of my 17" 225/45s and thinking of trading them for someone's 16" tires and wheels. I agree that 16" is all most people really need-- even on "high performance" cars.
Send your 44s to me and I'll return the 43s :D

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Nick, WTF are you getting these cars?! You really live a hard life, don't you. :flipoff:

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jetfire said:
Nick, WTF are you getting these cars?! You really live a hard life, don't you. :flipoff:
Pain, suffering, anguish and all that. Yeah, I know.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
It's a 2000 with the AMG sport package. I have driven it once. Then again, I was comparing it to a taurus at the time, so I thought it handled just fine. The gas pedal bothered me, but I was willing to put up with it.

It does have the glass top, by the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.