BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drivers are SO freaking NICE!
I saw decent observation of lane discipline... People were a lot less agressive... People were nice to pedestrians and bikers...

I don't know why people think driving in Boston is so terrible.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah. I drove at least 500 miles in the Boston area. :p Boston has lots of bad drivers, but they never seem to be malicious. DC has LOTS of malicious AND bad drivers.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Nah. I drove at least 500 miles in the Boston area. :p Boston has lots of bad drivers, but they never seem to be malicious. DC has LOTS of malicious AND bad drivers.
What part of Boston was this? Like any city, depends where you go. Some neighborhoods/areas are worse than others. Route 128 during morning and eve rush hours can be VERY competative. No one will give an inch. I've seen a few fist fights in traffic as well. I spent most of my time on 128 North, and traffic usually moves along at 70mph, with cars only a car length apart. Slower cars simply do not move over, and no one gives a shit if you want to merge onto the highway, even if the other lanes are clear. In some towns, like Newton for example, certain rules of the road are completely ignored, like the use of turn signals. And stop signs? What stop signs?

But what do you mean by malicious? A guy cut my girlfriend off in traffic once, and she honked at him. The guy slammed on the brakes, got out of the car, and kicked her door so hard, he dented it. Another time, a guy passed me on a residential street by straddling the curb - and spit on my car as he passed me. Now THATS malicious.

No, Boston drivers SUCK.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh. I was mostly in Cambridge and downtown Boston. I did a fair bit of highway driving in the surrounding areas, though.

In the DC area, I've had my car keyed... Some asshole threw a chunk of ice into the driver's side door...

My favorite was the time when some asshole cut me off so suddenly, I had to squeal the tires braking to avoid him... And he gave me the finger.

My other gauge, though, is that I hardly EVER hit the red zone in first. In the DC area, it's not uncommon for me to drop the clutch in order to make turns. I never felt the urge to do that in Boston.

·
Senior Slacker
5,646 Posts
Maybe things have changed

I grew up right outside of Boston but went to grad school in D.C. I thought that Boston drivers were much more aggressive and in many cases just crazy. I did think D.C. drivers were bad, when it rained for example total chaos, snow meant sheer panic. Route 128 at rush hour was bumper car derby but at least it moved.

Don't even ask me about Hawaii drivers, most would not last 10 minutes in Boston.:tsk:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
A few friends of mine went to Boston for college, and they all said Bostonian drivers were totally crazy; the worst being that everyone tailgates like crazy. Tailgaiting is a personal pet peeve so it would drive me completely up the wall.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
I hate tailgating... I am not a violent person, but when someone tailgates me it gets my blood boilin :mad:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
The drivers are SO freaking NICE!
I saw decent observation of lane discipline... People were a lot less agressive... People were nice to pedestrians and bikers...

I don't know why people think driving in Boston is so terrible.
You had a totally unique experience, Nick. Lucky you :thumbup:

I wasted about a year of my life in Boston (spread over three). The drivers in Boston, as a rule, are the worst that I have seen in any major US city. I have a theory about it, though, based on my observations criss crossing the country more times than I can count.

Speaking the most general, broadest terms, the quality of drivers in the US worsens as you move north and east and improves as you go south and west. There are several things that I think cause this and they each feed off each other. The ages when people start driving. The number of miles people drive their first few years. Vehicular density. Availability and use of public transportation. General, regional attitudes towards automobiles.

·
2,457 Posts
You certainly are the exception to the rule, if you think that. I get cut off, and tailgated regularly, with an occasional break job to boot.:thumbdwn:

I'm totally surprised that you didn't see or notice much of this going on. You must have great luck.:dunno:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Vexed...

Is your sig pic taken in the vicinity of the Hilton Hawaiian Village?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Problem with 128 drivers is that you get tailgating at 70mph and then the cars in front of you come to a complete stop. You always wonder, as you look into the rearview mirror, if the guy behind you is going to be in your backseat in a matter of seconds.

I did come up with an interesting solution for tailgaters which is mostly useful on back roads: Just move your rearview mirror to the side - let the A$$hole do whatever he wants back there- you'll never know what he's doing and it won't bother you one bit:)

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
FireFly said:
Problem with 128 drivers is that you get tailgating at 70mph and then the cars in front of you come to a complete stop. You always wonder, as you look into the rearview mirror, if the guy behind you is going to be in your backseat in a matter of seconds.

I did come up with an interesting solution for tailgaters which is mostly useful on back roads: Just move your rearview mirror to the side - let the A$$hole do whatever he wants back there- you'll never know what he's doing and it won't bother you one bit:)
Yea thats a good idea, because you can't enjoy your drive for looking every 3 seconds in your rearview mirror getting more pissed. I see more girls going 90 tailgating and driving like they are mad than guys. I also see women in mini vans going way to fast and also driving SUVS like tanks. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
geomax said:
I've seen a few fist fights in traffic as well.
Here, Seattle, our first "official" case of road rage (court case) involved two guys who stopped on a major bridge to have it out...till one pulled out a baseball bat and pummeled the other nearly to death....during rush hour traffic, with lots of witnesses... :tsk:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've seen more agressive/stupid driving in the ~22 months that I've lived in MA than I have seen in the entirety of the rest of my life. You were either lucky, or oblivious. :p :)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or maybe DC traffic is just really bad?

·
Senior Slacker
5,646 Posts
Re: Vexed...

JD said:
Is your sig pic taken in the vicinity of the Hilton Hawaiian Village?
Actually it was taken on the top of the parking garage of my building, in downtown about 4 miles from Waikiki.

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Nick,

Um, were you driving in Boston, MASSACHUSETTS? ;)

I grew up and learned to drive there. So that's my baseline understanding. I'd say drivers in the Midwest are tons nicer. But I also find DC and Los Angeles to be awful places to drive. I'd say they are worse than Boston, but that's probably because I'm confortable with the Boston habits. I can't argue with all the complaints about Boston drivers in the previous posts. Guilty as charged.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts