BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
750Li Lover
2009 X5 35d 170k
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team,

I have a 2013 750LI xdrive with 20" rims. Tire Rack recommends staggered tires as as well as run flat. I am against both these concepts and want to hear others opinion of the pros and cons of 1) Run Flats and 2) Staggered tire size for this vehicle.

I understand there are two good choices out there 1) Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 and 2) Michelin Pilot Sport or Super Sport.

My direct question is, what is the best (Handling, Noise, Comfort and traction) Non Staggered and non Run Flat tire out there? I drive in New England although the weather has been fair for years up here.

Thanks in advance. Drive On!

Edward

PS This car has the M Package! Wahoo.....:)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Unless you put highest priority on handling, I think most members on this forum will recommend Continental.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
I have the staggered 20" on my s550, i think its a great tire.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Agreed, I have changed out the RF for Continental DW on my 2015 F02. I have used Continental tires for many years; DWS (snow) when we were in the northeast and DW now in Florida, although I think these are being discontinued. Great tires for the price. And all of my cars have been staggered.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
If you are near freezing conditions Continental DWS06, the DWS is the older model.

If you are in summer conditions IE FL, Continental Sport is the DW replacement and meant to compete against the PSS:

More info and testing here:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4456/TESTED-Continental-Tire-ExtremeContact-Sport.aspx

Staggered setups depend on the width of your wheels/rims. Non-Runflats are fine, just be sure to keep AAA or a tow service added to your insurance/book so if anything happens you have someone to call.

·
joro2819
210 Posts
I bought the Slime kit and have AAA for backup. I have the 22 inch wheels setup and also bought a air compressor from Sears and check my pressure every other day to make sure my air pressure is maintained. Can never be too careful.

·
whughes
2,061 Posts
i have had michelins and continentals, the michelins were great for 10k miles, then made so much noise i could not hear the radio. the continentals are softer, but quieter. I have the DW's on my car and the DWS on my wife's jag. The DWS's are a little softer ride (and less handling) than the DW's which were softer (and less handling) than the michelins.

your choice

·
whughes
2,061 Posts
I just carry a tire plugging kit and a pump. if I can't fix it, AAA it

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 for the skinny spare tire kit. I bought it two years ago and I'm happy with my decision. Used it last spring when a sharp rock punctured the rear tire. Worked fine and critically it has the correct circumference so all of the rolling systems are happy.

Mark
2012 F01

1 - 18 of 18 Posts