BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, well I've found myself fancying this 540i and I'd like to have the leading experts take a look if you wouldn't mind...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ds=25&seller_type=p&cardist=21&standard=false
sorry for the super long link.

Anyway, the mileage is high but take a look at what work it's had done. I can maintain a car to a degree, when it comes to oil changes, but the mileage worries me. Thoughts?

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
There is no such thing as a 540i with a 5-speed manual transmission. The seller is a moron.

If you are serious, get the car mechanically inspected by a BMW indie.

125k is not high mileage. These engines can run past 200k with proper maintenance.

Also, the VIN was not accepted: http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There is no such thing as a 540i with a 5-speed manual transmission. The seller is a moron.

If you are serious, get the car mechanically inspected by a BMW indie.

125k is not high mileage. These engines can run past 200k with proper maintenance.

Also, the VIN was not accepted: http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Caveat emptor.
Ed; further down in the sellers description it does indicate 6 spd manual.......
The primary information section might not have an option for listing a 6 spd manual.

VIN works on realoem.com - 12 / 1998 build date.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=GC92075

To the original poster,

From the sellers description he/she appears to be "one of us". Ask for repair receipts of the work done. Find out who the mechanic is. Talk to them about what the car needs. The description indicates that some of the cooling system has been replaced, which is good. Also it has a set of winter wheels/tires. You will want them if you will drive in the winter.

If you are serious as Ed mentions above find an indie in CT, other that the sellers mechanic, thru these sites:

http://www.bimrs.org/
http://www.bimmershops.com/

You want what is refered to as a Pre Purchase Inspection.

Do some homework, it will pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's a good looking car and very clean engine bay, too. Not a bad price at all for 125k miles. I wish you luck on the test drive!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi guys, well I've found myself fancying this 540i and I'd like to have the leading experts take a look if you wouldn't mind...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ds=25&seller_type=p&cardist=21&standard=false
sorry for the super long link.

Anyway, the mileage is high but take a look at what work it's had done. I can maintain a car to a degree, when it comes to oil changes, but the mileage worries me. Thoughts?
Here is more info on the factory options it came with.

Vehicle information

VIN long GC92075

Type code DN53

Type 540I (USA)

Dev. series E39 ()

Line 5

Body type LIM

Steering LL

Door count 4

Engine M62/TU

Cubical capacity 4.40

Power 210

Transmision HECK

Gearbox MECH

Colour SCHWARZ 2 (668)

Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/SCHWARZ (N6SW)

Prod. date 1998-12-18

Order options
No. Description
299 LT/ALY WHEELS W MIXED TYRES

339 SATIN CHROME

403 GLAS ROOF, ELECTRIC

416 SUNBLINDS

459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY

481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

508 PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)

522 XENON LIGHT

609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL

640 CAR TELEPHONE PREPARATION

694 PREPARATION FOR CD CHANGER

704 M SPORT SUSPENSION

710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

818 MAIN BATTERY SWITCH

925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

Series options
No. Description
210 DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL (DSC)

302 ALARM SYSTEM

354 GREEN STRIPE WINDSCREEN

431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D

438 WOOD TRIM

441 SMOKERS PACKAGE

473 ARMREST, FRONT

520 FOGLIGHTS

534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING

540 CRUISE CONTROL

555 ON-BOARD COMPUTER

676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM

845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING

850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT

853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH

876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ

992 NUMBER PLATE ATTACHEMENT MANAGEMENT

Information
No. Description
415 SUNBLIND FOR REAR WINDOW

602 ON-BOARD MONITOR WITH TV

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I have one

with 160,000 on it and love it a lot! Good Luck with the car...check carfax and get a PPI...sweet ride for sure...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the pictures are pretty bad so I can't tell much as to the paint job. But if I get it I'll have to "Transporter" the hell out of it. Suspension, classy rims, etc. Make a it really nice, everyday ride.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Speaking from the perspective of a recent purchaser of a 540, who spent many weeks looking at cars before deciding on one, I'd have to say this one looks promising. Just make sure you get records of whatever service work was done, so that you can refer to them when you try to figure what maintenance item you want to address next. I wouldn't be afraid of the miles. I've got 156,000 on mine, and it pulls like a train, handles great, and still has that solid "bank vault" feel.

Also, make sure you find a really good independent shop--first to do a pre-purchase inspection, and second, as a back-up for any maintenance that's beyond the scope home DIY.

The price is certainly in the ball park and could probably be negotiated lower. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah thanks bob, I hope that the seller is open to negotiation. I see that it had the cooling system replaced as well as a few other things, I just was informed by a guy I know at work who works on cars that when one thing goes wrong on BMW's, all sorts of stuff starts to mess up, once you've taken it apart. I don't know, as long as it doesn't need anything major at this point (clutch, etc) I think I can just update it to newer head and tail lights and hope for the best.
I wonder how the ancient GPS in there works. Whatever, it's still luxury. You guys are very helpful compared to some forums.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, make sure you find a really good independent shop--first to do a pre-purchase inspection, and second, as a back-up for any maintenance that's beyond the scope home DIY.

The price is certainly in the ball park and could probably be negotiated lower. Good luck.
You know any good ones in western CT?

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
No, I don't know of any shops in Connecticut (I'm in California), but beside the resources that others have suggested to find shops, you might find Yelp! helpful. Regardless of what you think of the whole Yelp! phenomenon, they actually helped me find a great shop here in Berkeley. You want a shop that really specializes in BMW's, because these cars are so complex, there's no way general mechanics could keep up with all the eccentricities.

Just to give you an example of what a pre-purchase inspection should cover, here's a list that my shop did:

Front brakes
Rear brakes
Drive belts
Bushings
Water pump
Ball joints
idler arm
tie rods
push strut bushings
brake master
transmission leakage
clutch slave
rear transmission mount
shift tower mounts
flex disc
differential leakage
halfshaft joints
exhaust system
front wheel bearings
tire condition
brake fluid
battery electrolyte
fuses
pressure test cooling system
examine spark plugs
washer motor
wipers
shock absorbers
lights
heater blower
A/C
Interior light
glove box light
stereo
dash illumination
temp. control
window operation
seat operation
central locking
seat belts
trunk light
load test battery
battery voltage
charging system output
check for requred emissions equipment
paint thickness (shows whether an area has been repainted after an accident)

Here's what they found that needed attention:

coolant reservoir leaks
exterior temp sensor missing
front sensor not connected to control arm (for headlight self-leveling)
corner splash shields missing
fog lights loose
left front turn signal inoperative
driver's seat rear base height adjustment inoperable
headlighter adjusters broken
driver's side seatbelt receptacle bad
passenger's side visor light does not turn off

This report saved me about $1,000 off the asking price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That seems like good value. It looks like the gas pedal is coming out of the floor, something I'm not used to at all.

·
Registered
734 Posts
doesnt it look like the abs, brake, etc lights are on when they shoudlnt be?

·
Under the lift arms
13,162 Posts
I.have a 01 540 and I love it, just don't get ahead of your self and set some money aside for repairs

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
All the lights come on when you turn the key. It's normal.
Yes, that is true, but would the tach be at 400-500 rpm's and temp gague up to normal?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts