Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.
My z3 drains my battery in a day or so. I have measured the drainage and it is 160mA. I read that when everything is off (car parked) it should not exceed the 50mA limit. So I did the "pull out the fuse" method and i narrowed it down to the fuse 31. When i pull it out the drainage drops to about 20mA. To make it more complicated the fuse is used for lots of things. (Anti theft, Board computer, digital clock, EWS, Instrument cluster...i think that is it).

What i'm asking you kind people is how to proceed with my elimination of the problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like you are halfway there, keep disconnecting one sub system at a time until the current drain is reduced. I would personally suspect the alarm or anti theft first, then the digital clock. When you find the culprit, you have your answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you are halfway there, keep disconnecting one sub system at a time until the current drain is reduced. I would personally suspect the alarm or anti theft first, then the digital clock. When you find the culprit, you have your answer.
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure but i think the alarm system is under the dashboard?? Correct me if I am wrong. Also, do i need to be careful with disconnecting the alarm (disconnect the battery) so that i don't make things worse? Will it cause any problems if I connect the battery when the alarm is disconnected? (have to check for drainage).

And I have no idea where the location of the anti-theft device is.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Your welcome, I think at this point most everything is under this or that. If you are hesitant to tackle this, go no further and seek the help of a person that has more knowledge. Electrical systems are very bewildering if you have never tackled one before, all the wires look alike and sometimies there are more than one set of wires or connectors that look alike. I would hesitate to encourage you to dive in!

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,134 Posts
... i think the alarm system is under the dashboard??... I have no idea where the location of the anti-theft device is...
I don't know if your Z3 has the same systems described in the Bentley manual, which may be for US-spec cars.

The manual says Z3s have an electronic immobilization system, called EWS from the German words for Electronic Driveaway Protection. An illustration shows a very complicated system spread throughout the car, involving the key, ECM, central locking, and starter. For 1996-1998 the EWS II version was used, with a transmitter-receiver located to left of the steering column below the dashboard and a control module located behind the glove box.

The manual says an anti-theft alarm is an optional dealer-installed system, with an illustration showing a control module, dashboard indicator, tilt sensor, radio removal sensor, and a siren.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys.
My car is directly from Germany and yes it has the system that Mr. vintage42 described (checked under the lid of the fuse box). Today I looked under the glove box and found no alarm module. Only some connectors with a lot of pins which left me clueless. So I decided that I will drive it to my local car electrician and just explain to him what i have found to save him some work and hopefully save some money for me :) I hope he doesn't charge me much for this.

Thanks again for your insight and time.

Will report on what was the problem when i get my car back from the shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2001 1.9 Roadster in that the battery goes flat if the car is left unused for a couple of days. I have checked the power drain with everything off ( took bulb out of boot light when checking) and there is a 290mA drain which is coming from fuse 31 the same as the person in this thread.Fuse 31 feeds the anti theft,door chime , instrument cluster, and the Electronic Immobiliser Control module. So whilst I have locate the area were the faults is I still need to fault find the various source. This means taking out interior trim which is a pain and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience on the most likely source of the fault. The car has been left outside until recently and the inside has experienced a lot of condensation so it may be that the condensation has got into some of the controls. The battery is less than a year old.
One other point is does anyone know where I can get repalcement plastic screw cover for the dash board and glove box screw as invariably they get damaged to some degree when they are removed.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Many Thank
Dave Reynolds

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The car was built in December 2000 and a label to this effect is under the bonnet. Not sure about a leak on the hood but the carpets are dry but it could be slight leak after all the hood is the orginal
Thanks for the info on the screw caps.

Dave

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,134 Posts
For condensation to appear inside a car that has been left outdoors, there likely is water in the car that is evaporating and condensing.
The source of that water would be a leak.
The hood (top) can leak in many ways. The rubber seals against the windows. The plugs in the rubber seal at the top corner of the A-pillars. The sealing ring around the base of the hood (top) that directs water into the drain wells on each side.
Or water can come in through the doors. The door panels (cards) are backed up by a molded foam liner that is adhered to the metal doors by butyl tape. The tape sealing the liner to the door keeps water, which goes down the glass into the door, from getting of the door. If the molded foam liner is not sealed, or is missing (removed), water will splash onto the back of the panel (card) and drain to the sill and floor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1998 1.9 same problem

My 1998 has the same issue. I replaced the battery as it was about 5 years old and the new one drained dead in a week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2001 1.9 Roadster in that the battery goes flat if the car is left unused for a couple of days. I have checked the power drain with everything off ( took bulb out of boot light when checking) and there is a 290mA drain which is coming from fuse 31 the same as the person in this thread.Fuse 31 feeds the anti theft,door chime , instrument cluster, and the Electronic Immobiliser Control module. So whilst I have locate the area were the faults is I still need to fault find the various source. This means taking out interior trim which is a pain and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience on the most likely source of the fault. The car has been left outside until recently and the inside has experienced a lot of condensation so it may be that the condensation has got into some of the controls. The battery is less than a year old.
One other point is does anyone know where I can get repalcement plastic screw cover for the dash board and glove box screw as invariably they get damaged to some degree when they are removed.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Many Thank
Dave Reynolds
did you find the problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts