BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Ruprect Gern
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blown headgasket on my 97 Z3 1.9 (water in the cylinders when you pull the plugs).

As I see it, I have two options:

A.) Pull the head and have it reconditioned and bolt the motor back together.

B.) Pull the motor and rebuild it.

I'm inclined to pull the motor, but the question is... "what is the best method for removing the engine?"

is it better to pull the motor up and out as is the way I've always done it or is it easier to just lower the front end out of the car with the motor attached?
What's involved in dropping the carrier to get the motor out?

any information would be appreciated.

thanks

RuprectGern

· Ruprect Gern
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Psygnosis

Perfect,. the "out the front method" is just what i needed. I''d upvote you if that was possible

Any idea about what are the best steps to remove the front clip? general order, gotchas, etc?

thanks

RG

· Ruprect Gern
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to rebuild the motor.
because of the overheating, the rest of the engine is suspect.

I have to pull the motor for that.

· Ruprect Gern
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I want something that will bolt up. i don't want to upgrade and spend a lot of money.
I want to replace the rings, bearings, seals, chain guides, gaskets, head bolts, etc. but i need to pull the motor and have the cylinders checked and honed and the head needs to be milled.
so out comes the motor.

just want to get it running and reliable.

If i could do an upgrade with little or no fabrication, i would consider it.

· Dr.BMW
406 Posts
IDK- in my opinion, rebuilding and/or putting major money into a M42/M44 is just wasted money. polishing a turd. they leak oil like no ones buisness, and you need to keep a headgasket in the glovebox.
M52 or S52 with transmission (and driveshaft shortened) with DME/engine wiring harness etc WILL literally bolt up.

and keep this simple. a M54 is NOT an option if you want simple, since it wasnt offered in 97. E36 chassis engines in 97 M44, M52, S52. find a doner and just swap it all in. easy peasy.

· Ruprect Gern
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Polishing a turd indeed

The M52 sounds better to me.
If I can find an E36 / E39 Parts car. It might be easier to just do that.

ill keep this in mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.