BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the fact that I'm not slipping on the road, ABS seems to be kicking in. It only does it when I am near to stopping anyway, usually under 5mph. I've taken her to the garage (where of course, I could not replicate the crunching feeling) and my mechanic says the brakes are fine, so there's no danger that she won't actually stop, but it is a mystery as to why ABS is deploying for no good reason. Diagnostics read something related to the angle sensor (max'd it out), but at that time the ABS light had not actually come on...in the past week, though, it has...but then just as mysteriously goes out.

I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue before...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, it has occurred to me that I may have discovered something that is contributing to this ABS issue...when I wash my car, I use a product on the rims that helps get rid of the dust gunk from from the road. This stuff is fairly oily, so if I have sprayed some of it through the rim and it reached my brakes, could it register as a slick surface to my sensors?

I would feel a little silly if it really is just this simple...any thoughts? ;-)

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
You might consider pulling off the wheels to inspect the wheel speed sensors. As I understand, the speed sensors tell the ABS module how fast each wheel is turning. It then monitors for brake lockup and acts accordingly.

I cannot say if your wheel cleaner is the cause of the problem, but it wouldn't be a good idea to use anything oilly to clean the wheels, since it would be very likely to get on the brake rotors and pads. I clean my wheels only with car soap and a wash mitt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts