BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought this car a few months ago. went to start the ac last week and it wouldnt work. popped the hood and there was no belt hooked up to the ac. i got the new belt but i cant get it on there? how do i compress that hydraulic tensioner to allow enough room to get the belt on? or is there some other way i have to do it? thanks

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
You will need a 6mm hex socket and a ratchet or breaker bar.

Pop the dust cap off the tensioner pulley, insert the hex socket into the pulley bolt, and pull the ratchet/breaker bar towards the center of the car. The tensioner piston will compress and allow you to pull the belt off with your other hand.

It can be done from the top of the motor, but it's a little easier from the bottom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woot

that worked thanks. the ac still isnt blowing cold though. i was hoping that would be it. any suggestions to locate the problem?

·
tire consumer
555 Posts
Having had no belt, it's a guess that the A/C hadn't been used for some time. Without occasional use, the seals can dry out and leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes

yeah its been a year since it worked. i bought the car from my brother and he said it just stopped working one day which i assume was the day the belt came off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts