BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 98 z3 1.9L

airbag light stays on. The previous owner said he placed his laptop in the passenger seat one day and the airbag light came on. Since then its never turned off. Any tips?

On rainy days, the ASC warning light turns on = no ASC. That's fine with me, I don't really care if I have ASC. Though it is annoying to have that yellow exclamation point on all the f-ing time. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
airbag light stays on. The previous owner said he placed his laptop in the passenger seat one day and the airbag light came on. Since then its never turned off. Any tips?
Very common problem - search and you will find lots of info. You really need a dealer (or buy the peake SRS reader (just for the air bag system).
1) There is a occupancy sensor in the passengers seat that can fail
2) there is a switch in the Seat belt buckles that can fail
3) the wiring under the seat for 1) and 2) can be damaged.

On rainy days, the ASC warning light turns on = no ASC. That's fine with me, I don't really care if I have ASC. Though it is annoying to have that yellow exclamation point on all the f-ing time. Any tips?
You have it the wrong way round. ASC is on by default (but no light). The light will flash if the system senses wheel spin and activates (e.g. when it's wet).

You can turn off ASC using the botton on the dash, at that time the ASC light is on all the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What I meant was the ASC is "off" and the light is "on" all the time only when it rains. This occurs after a couple miles of driving.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the issue with the ASC light staying on all the time on my 99 Z3. It was an ABS sensor if I remember correctly. I'll have to look at my repairs file when I get home and let you know for sure. I do remember that it was expensive.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
check the speed sensors and the connections - water must be getting in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 Z3 and the airbag light has been on since a hot day last summer. It happened a few years ago on extremely cold days. The dealer fixed it then for a hefty price. Now they want nearly $600 to fix it again. My mother-in-law has a 2000 740i and has had the same problem at least twice. Hasn't BMW taken responsibility for a faulty product?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have a 2000 Z3 and the airbag light has been on since a hot day last summer. It happened a few years ago on extremely cold days. The dealer fixed it then for a hefty price. Now they want nearly $600 to fix it again. My mother-in-law has a 2000 740i and has had the same problem at least twice. Hasn't BMW taken responsibility for a faulty product?
If they dont take responsibility for the trunk floor falling out...why would air bag lights be any different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had this issue on my 2000 Z3.

The INDY replaced the seatbelt assembly because in California it is illegal to try to fix these issues - so I'm told. Had it repaired (seat deinstalled and reinstalled as part of the routine) and that fixed it.

Now, a year later, I have the same (Airbag light on) problem triggered by the passenger seat's belt assembly.

I am told this is a common issue. But I gotta get this resolved because I guess that the airbag system has been disabled. Comments, anyone?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Seat belt buckle assembly is around $100 and is an easy DIY. I've had to replace the drivers before.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I HAVE A 2000 Z3 ROADY, SAME PROBLEM, MINE WAS THE CHEAP MOLEX CONNECTORS CONNECTING THE SEAT TO THE ABS SYSTEM. THE FIRST TIME i TOOK THEM APART AND WD-40'D THEM. WORKED FOR 2 YEARS, THE NEXT TIME i REPLACED THE CONNECTORS WITH A HI-REL MILITARY CONNECTOR 3 YEARS NOW NO PROBLEM.

AS FOR THE ASC, REMOVE THE ABS SENSORS AND CONNECTORS WD-40 THE CONNECTORS, CLEAN THE SENSORS AND TRY TO CLEAN AS MUCH JUNK OUT OF THE WHEEL LUGS IN SIDE THE SENSOR HOUSING AS POSSIBLE, THIS SHOULD HELP.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I should of course add that replacing the parts are easy..you still need a peake SRS tool or visit to BMW/Indy repair shop to reset the light.

THE NEXT TIME i REPLACED THE CONNECTORS WITH A HI-REL MILITARY CONNECTOR 3 YEARS NOW NO PROBLEM.
got any sources for the connectors, I've thought about replacing them with something else but have never gone looking for new connectors.

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
Try Stabilant-22 on the connectors. It is a contact cleaner/ enhancer. Supposedly spec'd in the BMW bulletin for this, as I recall.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased the PEAK tool, it directed me to the seat occupancy sensor. I'll take the seat out and use some contact cleaner on re-install. Does anyone know what the resistance check should show? Previous owner had a large dog (naturally equiped with claws) that used to ride around in it (in passenger seat).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts