BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I recently bought a '97 Z3 2.8 and have two questions regarding sounds produced possibly by the rear brakes and definately the ABS SYSTEM.

Firstly :
Whenever I set off after the car has been standing for some time I hear a slight grinding sound from the rear within one revolution of the wheels.
I 've already tried leaving the handbrake off, but the sound persists.
It's anoying but not frightening yet.
I've checked the discs and pads and they seem OK.
Is it correct that the parking brake uses separate shoes i.s.o. the brakepads and might be the cause for this ?

Secondly :
While testing the overall working of the brakes and ABS system I noticed a whooping sound under the hood when the ABS system engages.
I'm guessing it's the ABS pump working but I've never experienced this in other cars.
The Z3 brakepedal doesn't vibrate as it will do on my 2002 Renault Clio.
But the sound is disturbing me even if everythings seems to work OK.
Should I worry about this or is this normal for the Z3 ABS system.

Thanks in advance for any help !

Greetxn Peter

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
E-brake and brakeshoes.

Thank you for the confirmation.

I'd seen the brakeshoe assembly but was unsure it was on all Z3.

I'll have a look at the state of these in the near future then, just to make sure the sound is coming from there.

I suspect it is since the handbrake works but not evenly on both sides it seemed to me when taking of the damned wheelspacers the previous owner had installed !

But I hadn't noticed the grinding noise before I did that ...... I think :jawdrop:

No noises when your ABS engages I gather from your response ?
Maybe whooping isn't the right word but it seemed to come from under the hood.
Might have been the tires on the wet road surface afterall.
I'll try again soon.

Most surprising to me was that the brake pedl didn't vibrate at all like in other cars.
Like the automatic rental in Melbourne when I tried to push the clutch and got the brake pedal instead .......:lmao:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts