BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks I will check it out but...my point is: who the manufacturer is has been determined...the dealerships ALL have said it can only be Alpine because the serial number works only with Alpine and none other....!EVERYTHING WORKS OUT....BUT THE RADIO...Capice?
Contact BradK on the Z3 forum on bimmerfest by pm he gave me codes for both of my Z's Capice!

·
///M Practical
859 Posts
Thanks I will check it out but...my point is: who the manufacturer is has been determined...the dealerships ALL have said it can only be Alpine because the serial number works only with Alpine and none other....!EVERYTHING WORKS OUT....BUT THE RADIO...Capice?
I've seen more than one instance where the dealer is wrong regarding the manufacturer and the serial number. Usually the serial number is the same for more than one manufacturer. I'll bet there is a good chance that your radio was not made by Alpine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply but they all say "your serial # doesn't work for any other manufacturer but Alpine", well, I'm thinking they must have thought of that and run my number through other makers...yes?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Radio codes

I went though this years ago. The dealer insisted they gave me the right and only code that showed up on their normal computer search. I finally found a tech at the dealer that knew there where multiple codes. The dealer finally sent a fax to BMW headquarters and they sent back 3 possible codes. For some reason, some models have 3 possible codes. The dealers normal search gave the wrong code, but one of the others did work.
KEEP AFTER THEM until they give you all the codes for your serial number from BMW not just their normal computer search!
Once you get the code, write it down in several safe places.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks for all that....I will again approach the dealer (I shudder at the thought; they hold onto their data like it's Fort Knox material). I have to say that a simple act of changing my battery is becoming a Gothic Horror Story. Sorry to say, this will be a major consideration when buying my next car...who needs this grief... thanks again,
M

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ignorant Techs

I think that most of the techs are ignorant about this particular problem and they don't like to be told they are WRONG.
INSIST that you get all the possible codes for your serial number FROM BMW. If they won't do it tell them you will take your business some where else then do it and make sure they know it!

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Correct, there are a minimum of two (2) possible codes; one (1) each for Alpine and Blaupunkt, as both were suppliers of the head unit.

Unfortunately, after the failed attempts to enter the code, I *think* the radio has to be "powered on" for an hour before the "code wait" defaults back to "enter code." I do not know if it needs a continuous hour, or enough "on time" to equal an hour.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Correct, there are a minimum of two (2) possible codes; one (1) each for Alpine and Blaupunkt, as both were suppliers of the head unit.

Unfortunately, after the failed attempts to enter the code, I *think* the radio has to be "powered on" for an hour before the "code wait" defaults back to "enter code." I do not know if it needs a continuous hour, or enough "on time" to equal an hour.
Yes it does need to be on continuously until the radio switches back to enter code. Enjoy a nice drive listening to engine or let it sit in the garage in the on position.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes, I have all that, thanks...I'm way past the 'wait and plugging in the same number' thing...been there, plenty...It's time to demand more code/European numbers, I believe...I'll start that tomorrow and keep you in the loop...many thanks
M

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I have to add something here: there may be a code # per manufacturer but your SERIAL number for your unit is the one and only. My serial number matches my code number and only in Alpine units. (Don't quite get how you can request "codes from other makers" ...when the serial number only shows up under Alpine...but doesn't show up at all under Pioneer of Blaupunkt!?)
M

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think I have to add something here: there may be a code # per manufacturer but your SERIAL number for your unit is the one and only. My serial number matches my code number and only in Alpine units. (Don't quite get how you can request "codes from other makers" ...when the serial number only shows up under Alpine...but doesn't show up at all under Pioneer of Blaupunkt!?)
M
I don't know what to tell you there. BMW Headquarters gave me 3 codes and even they could not say which one was right.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The dealer told me that they sent a fax with my serial number to BMW headquarters in Germany. I had to wait for 1 1/2 days to get the reply because of the time difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Serial number is not a code...Two codes? Can't quite figure these guys out...they plug into the same online system...how is it your dealer sees 2 codes and mine insist there is only one number on the screen...?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Didn't say the serial number was a code...... don't know why they gave me 2 codes, maybe there is a clitch in the system...... I called gave them the yr and model of my Z, man said there was two types of radios(as stated above), so try both of these (the codes) 1st one didn't work 2nd one did.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, you're lucky you got 2, then. (I even called BMW in your area, Huntsville...got a very nice fellow, but he gave me only one code; insisted there was only one...the one have ...that doesn't work) (This must be a plot!)

·
Registered
785 Posts
It's all good now, never have to worry about codes again.... I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer N3 Nav flip unit......... love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help.....I have a 1997 z3 with a cassette radio(with a cd changer in the trunk). I went to the dealer and had a bad customer service experience...lol. They want to charge $190 to pull the radio out. I need the radio security code...any suggestions? Michelle :)

21 - 40 of 59 Posts