BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know this is going to sound stupid, but here goes. I have a a 1999 Z3 coupe 2.8l and I cannot for the life of me figure this out: When I turn on the rear windsheild wiper- I cannot turn it off. If I hit the wiper switch forward twice to activate it will wipe twice and then stay off. But, if I have it running I can't just shut it off. I must be missing something.There isn't an 'off' positon on the wiper selector. I have just been hitting it twice when I need it. But I can't just let it run because then the only to stop it (that i know of) is to shut the car off. The manual doesn't say anything. Most of you guys would never admit to such a thing- but it pisses me off that I don't know.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Press it just once while it is running. It will wipe immediately and then turn off. Once to turn on, and then once more to turn off.

·
tire consumer
555 Posts
NITO: i have the same car, and the same issue. it is not a big deal to me but it is odd. and it was really annoying driving this car home (north AL) from san fransisco area. i was still getting familiar with the car (while driving 3200mi in 49hrs) and accidentally hitting the rear wiper instead of cruise, while driving fast and in freezing temperatures, made for annoying stretches.

corgi: if it is that simple i will feel dumb. i swear i've tried every possible combination and the only thing i can find that works is the double tap, like NITO describes. thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is that simple. But it also took me a long time to figure it out, several BMW techs as well. It is actually in the owner's manual. When I got my first Coupe I had to pull over to the side of the road and turn off the car to stop the wiper when I hit it by mistake going for cruise control.

That Corgi, he is sharp though. I seem to recall him going round RA with that wiper constantly keeping that back window clean.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure if I press it while it's running it will just force a wipe out of order. Pushing and holding just activates the rear wiper fluid. Maybe, it is that simple and I'm just pressing it too hard-initiating fluid but not holding long enough for the actual fluid to come out? I don't know.I will go out right now and check. By the way thanks for responding to such a stupid problem. I laugh everytime I think about it. Its hilarious when it stops raining while I'm driving and the rear wiper is still going. It starts to screetch when it has wiped it dry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I am a retard after all. I was pushing the selector too hard. It is as simple as one push on-one push off. By pushing and holding the selector, you simply engage the wiper fluid. But, if you just push and hold (not long enough to engage fluid) you force a wipe out of order. This does not turn the system off. It will just continue to wipe in order. So just one simple tap=on, one=tap off. Welcome to StupidQuestionVille. Population: me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts