BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while I get really jumpy acceleration at low speeds, either from a stop or after I've had to slow down for whatever reason. When its from a stop I tried to blame it on myself for a poor launch with the clutch, but I've seen it in 2nd gear with no shifting as well. Almost seems like maybe a fuel delivery problem like the engine isn't getting enough gas? I'll get a few lurches, maybe 3 or 4 before it smoothes out.

It's a 2001 Z3 Roadster with 30k miles, anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and no, haven't done the CDV delete yet, although I plan to. It just seems like the lurching happens sometimes when I'm nowhere near the clutch.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Every once in a while I get really jumpy acceleration at low speeds, either from a stop or after I've had to slow down for whatever reason. When its from a stop I tried to blame it on myself for a poor launch with the clutch, but I've seen it in 2nd gear with no shifting as well. Almost seems like maybe a fuel delivery problem like the engine isn't getting enough gas? I'll get a few lurches, maybe 3 or 4 before it smoothes out.

It's a 2001 Z3 Roadster with 30k miles, anyone else had this problem?
I have the same with my Z4--I call it a surge-it happens during moderate acceleration in 1st and 2nd at around 2500-3500 RPM-service dept. blamed it on the aftermarket "oiled" type filter element I installed--he said that sometimes if they are over oiled they foul up the Mass air flow sensor. A new sensor is on order and the stock filter is installed. I will follow up when the new part is installed by the dealer. You might start by looking at the filter or the MAF sensor.
:dunno:

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
Two cheap and easy fixes that could take care of the problem would be cleaning the MAF (~$4 for a can of CRC MAF cleaner) and changing the spark plugs (~$48 from Max). It was genuinely surprising how different my car drove after just cleaning the MAF. Both of these are standard maintenance items anyhow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts