BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you like them on the Z? Any problems or downsides .
Also I plan on replacing the 245's in the rear with 255's has anyone done this and if so where then any issues you ran into with the 17in rims?
thanks

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok here is a question since I know very little of tires, If I have about 3-4 32nds of tread left on the rear should that be ok for about 6k miles of driving?>

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
01silber said:
Ok here is a question since I know very little of tires, If I have about 3-4 32nds of tread left on the rear should that be ok for about 6k miles of driving?>
IMO No. How did you wear out your -tires with no mileage on the car?

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron Stygar said:
IMO No. How did you wear out your -tires with no mileage on the car?
Well I used the penny method so I guess I better confirm the amount left first but im at 14.5k
I could have read the measurement wrong but i did it how tireracks site said; Im still trying to decide if I should go to 255s and what brand

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
01silber said:
Well I used the penny method so I guess I better confirm the amount left first but im at 14.5k
I could have read the measurement wrong but i did it how tireracks site said; Im still trying to decide if I should go to 255s and what brand
I would go with the PS-2's in stock sizes. You have to decide what you do.

Following is a pic of the gauge I use purchased from Snap-on.
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/tools/all_snap_on_tools.html

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have had the PS2 for a year on my 01 3.0L

I love them. I bought them just before HC last year, I didn't want to risk it, as the thread was getting low at 24k on the OEM Dunlops. The tires are the best I have ever had. Go:p t all 4 installed for $1K.

·
Registered
226 Posts
kcsails said:
I love them. I bought them just before HC last year, I didn't want to risk it, as the thread was getting low at 24k on the OEM Dunlops. The tires are the best I have ever had. Go:p t all 4 installed for $1K.
I have the PS2s, stock sizes. Put them on when I bought the car 9 months ago. Got them from Costco for 850.00 installed. Could lite previous tires, worn yokahamas, but these dont lite bangin second. Just a chirp.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Ill prob be getting a set of stock sized ps2 this week then.... My only visual complaint is that they say "outside" on the outside of the tire, they could have a little more subtle as opposed to 15 font size, do they all still have that on the out area of the tire
Ill be ordering them tomm

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
01silber said:
Well Ill prob be getting a set of stock sized ps2 this week then.... My only visual complaint is that they say "outside" on the outside of the tire, they could have a little more subtle as opposed to 15 font size, do they all still have that on the out area of the tire
Ill be ordering them tomm
Buy them from Jay and he can get you the BMW ones. Better dates then -tire rack too if you ask.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ron Stygar said:
Buy them from Jay and he can get you the BMW ones. Better dates then -tire rack too if you ask.
I had no idea there were bmw ones, shweeeet
Curious are they more then non bmw ones? like as in hundreds more

I cant find them in the etk any idea of part numbers?
225/45
245/40 17rims

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
01silber said:
I had no idea there were bmw ones, shweeeet
Curious are they more then non bmw ones? like as in hundreds more

I cant find them in the etk any idea of part numbers?
225/45
245/40 17rims
Call Jay and get a quote and compare it to others.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just put on a set about 3 mo ago. So far so good. I did not know about the BMW tires either. Huh, oh well, too late now. Can't complain however, $450 for the set mounted and balanced. Bought the car used and they split the cost with me.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
madhouse said:
Just put on a set about 3 mo ago. So far so good. I did not know about the BMW tires either. Huh, oh well, too late now. Can't complain however, $450 for the set mounted and balanced. Bought the car used and they split the cost with me.
Do you have a digi cam? Would it be to much trouble to snap a few close up shots of them and post them here

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got the same car and wheels as you,the PS2' are great! ride is way better than oem and they stick well. Went with original size. also got them from costco when they had a 100$ coupon deal .I did sweat talk the installer to be gentle w/the rims.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went with the PS2's, Took the rear rims in today to have the tires put on and will take the fronts tomm. I will be eating cheezits at HC this year after this purchase $1031.00 -50.00 micelin rebate.. I went with discounttire; tires due to warranty concerns, the money I could have saved going with another supplier would not be enough to make up for if I have any issues or warranty claims, Discount has always taken care of us aslong as there is still tread showing so I think in the long run this will benifit me, Also had them source them from the michelin man warehouse and date codes are 06/06 and 04/06 for the fronts so that is new enough for me...
While there watching him mount I noticed the exact same rim on the ground with a sp8080e on it, He said they had to order the tire for the customer:( If I had been there 10 minutes earlier I would have sold him the passenger rear with 80% tread left on it( replaced about a year ago due to nail in sidewall)
Once I get the fronts on and test it out ill let you know what i think

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took it for a short test spin and one thing I noticed is that it is much quiter with the ps2's comapred to the sp8080e ( could be due to the money i had to pay and my hearing is shutting down)
but so far Im impressed but will know more when im looking at daniel in the rear view on the dragon;)

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
01silber said:
Took it for a short test spin and one thing I noticed is that it is much quiter with the ps2's comapred to the sp8080e ( could be due to the money i had to pay and my hearing is shutting down)
but so far Im impressed but will know more when im looking at daniel in the rear view on the dragon;)
So your next mod is to put a picture of me on your mirror? Gosh Max, I didn't know you felt that way about me. I might have to change my Homecoming plans. :)

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
01silber said:
I know someone that can help you with that, and the money she gets from the hearing aid sale could go towards new paint on the gray car :rofl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.