BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, do I need to install new/thicker spring pads when I install H&R Sport springs on my '01 Z3 3.0 that did not come with stock sport suspension?

In addtion to the shocks/struts and springs, I've ordered two front strut re-enforcement plates, and new rogue engineering rear shock mounts. I plan to order camber plates, but havn't decided on a brand. Am I missing anything else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Make sure you get plates that fit the struts. Pads help keep things quiet on the street. You should run uppers since they have a bump stop in it. As far as thickness. Unless you are jacking to corner balance, use what looks best to you.

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently I'm more interested in a mechinical reason for go/no-go on the spring pads.

The car has upper and lower spring pads stock. Do I need to change those for a different thickness because the new springs are shorter?

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
You may want thicker spring pads since the H&R Sport tend to give the car negative rack (lower in rear).

And if you really want to run camber plates, you should look at a coil over setup. With stock diameter springs, there isn't much adjustment room.

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may want thicker spring pads since the H&R Sport tend to give the car negative rack (lower in rear).
Thanks for that info, that helps!

And if you really want to run camber plates, you should look at a coil over setup. With stock diameter springs, there isn't much adjustment room.
I am only interersted in camber plates to compensate/reverse for the negative camber that sport springs will give me. Do you think I'll be able to do that with H&R sport springs?

The new suspension is already on order, so coil-overs may have to wait a 50k miles :)

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Heck, with H&R Sports, I recommend swapping the hats to get MORE negative camber. The lowering doesn't give you that much in the front. You get a good bit in the rear due to the geometry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the H&R sports on stock suspension and I kept the stock spring pads. I did buy new spring pads just in case the old ones were worn out. It looks very level with the stock pads, I may swap in some bigger ones when I install some sway bars next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts