BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 New Here...Advice welcomed!

3080 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  E36ic4me
Aloha. Long story short, the only thing I got from my ex gf was a 97 Z3 V6. 95k, automatic, purple with beige top. I just redid the breaks and had a couple gaskets/leaks fixed. Nothing else is wrong with the engine/drive train. I am planning on changing to a black top and black wheels. Also, the interior is brown and the ostrich is ripped. I want to go all black with the interior. Dont want to drop a couple grand on seats, so I am looking into fairly priced racing seats. So, my question is to the Gods on the forum, what are your prefered sites to order from that carries several different items. I live in Hawaii where BMW parts ares scarce, and I figure I can get a deal on shipping if I place large orders from one or two sites.
Oh, the driver's door lock mechanism is broke, so you have to unlock from the trunk. I was thinking about popping the door open this weekend. Anyone have a how to?
While I wait for my seats and top, I was going to knock out painting the interior plastic and change the carpet. Advice? Im pretty confident about the plastic but I'm not sure where to get "auto carpet"?
One last one; the rear console lid is cracked and needs a new one as well as maybe a cup holder where the cassette array is? Good order sites?
Im not looking for answers for it all, and will def dig around the forum. Any advice or smart-a$$ comments are welcome. I am so exited about this project and if anyone wants I can throw up some progress pics. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Aloha. Where in Hawaii? My Mom is from Kaimuki.

To start with, no such thing as a V6 BMW. Z3s have Inline 4 or Inline 6 engines. BMW has made V8s, V10s, and V12s. :)

As for the seats, why no just put on a set of Wet Okoles and have the best of many worlds, for the Hawaii environment.

As for various interior parts, mainly with custom leather work, I prefer LeatherZ.
Wow...already look like an idiot. Inline 6...As far as the seats, I'm not really into the Wet Okolaes and just wouldn't feel right knowing that the leather underneath was shredded. Plus, I'm 6 foot 5, and I was hoping a racing seat would have a narrower back as to provide a little more leg room. I live on the west side of the island, but its still only a 25 minute drive, or 15 in the Z3! Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer
Aloha gf883000 ! Welcome to the club !!! I find a lot of stuff for my Z4 on e-bay in the motors section. Good luck with you beemer !
:bigpimp:
Wow...already look like an idiot. Inline 6...As far as the seats, I'm not really into the Wet Okolaes and just wouldn't feel right knowing that the leather underneath was shredded. Plus, I'm 6 foot 5, and I was hoping a racing seat would have a narrower back as to provide a little more leg room. I live on the west side of the island, but its still only a 25 minute drive, or 15 in the Z3! Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer
I'm not convinced that you'll ever find enough leg room in the Z3. I have my seat as far back as possible. At just under 6'3" my knees still have to go on either side of the steering column. It would take another 3-4 inches of backward movement, which I don't believe is there, for me to get into perfect position and then I would need to have a telescoping steering wheel, which also isn't there......Trade for a Z4 which does have both may be in your future.... ;)

And let's not mention that the forehead is well above the windshield.....:bigpimp:
Look around, there is a mod to remove a hump to allow the seats to go back a bit further. But this car was not really made for a person that tall.

At least in HI, you can leave the top down most of the time. :)
Rear console lids are hard to find as 96-97's were the only model years where Z3 roadsters did not have roll hoops. Many owners of those cars have also cracked their lids. The part is available new but can you believe is about $200 for a brittle piece of plastic. That said there are forum members with 96-97 cars that have upgraded to the console with roll hoops and are selling their old rear consoles. Poke around the classifieds on various Z3 forums or on ebay and they come up occasionally. Given what you want to do with the interior, you might want to focus on finding a wrecked car that you can strip
Thanks for the help fellas...Found a couple parts on the mainland willing to ship here. Now a stupid question. Will the carpet from a 2001 M coupe fit my 97 Z3? I know it sounds crazy but looking at the interior it doesnt sound too far gone...
Bah! I too am 6'5" and I find the Z3 quite comfortable (and I've had 4 of them). I've owned nearly every type of modern roadster and I find the Z3 to be damn near the best fit. I regularly drive it on 500+ mile road trips.
:bigpimp:

I'm not convinced that you'll ever find enough leg room in the Z3.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.