BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Needs more cowbell
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short while ago, my car's OBC stopped providing me with the distance-to-empty reading. I still get Time, Temp, Avg MPG and Avg MPH. It seemed to start when I was running out of gas on the drive home. Right before that, the dte reading dropped to 14 miles before I just started getting dashes. I'm thinking the sensor for the gas level got stuck when I ran the tank down, or that it just chose then to stop working. It's been somewhat cold, so I could accept that as an explanation.

I haven't checked fuses yet, but that's the first step.

The dashboard gas gauge works fine, btw. I don't know if the car computer's gas level sensor is the same one as the one for the dashboard gauge, or if it's seperate. Is it the same or are there two sensors?

Any ideas as to what to look at here?

·
Registered
41 Posts
WileECoyote said:
A short while ago, my car's OBC stopped providing me with the distance-to-empty reading. I still get Time, Temp, Avg MPG and Avg MPH. It seemed to start when I was running out of gas on the drive home. Right before that, the dte reading dropped to 14 miles before I just started getting dashes. I'm thinking the sensor for the gas level got stuck when I ran the tank down, or that it just chose then to stop working. It's been somewhat cold, so I could accept that as an explanation.

I haven't checked fuses yet, but that's the first step.

The dashboard gas gauge works fine, btw. I don't know if the car computer's gas level sensor is the same one as the one for the dashboard gauge, or if it's seperate. Is it the same or are there two sensors?

Any ideas as to what to look at here?
There is only one gas level sensor and that is behind the passenger seat. The other sensor for the fuel tank is a gas pressure sensor on the top of the tank. I would check the OBC itself since your fuel gauge is working. Try a full reset of the OBC by cutting power to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to thank you guys for this thread. No idea if this will ever be seen being this old or not but I just had to give a shout out of thanks for this. I am a brand new owner of a Z3 and I think I left the door ajar and ended up with a very dead battery. Long story short of doing most everything wrong to resolve..just went old school and hooked up a charger to the battery. By time I got everything figured out, including resetting some code to the radio, my mte on the obd didn't register. Everything else seemed fine. I cursed myself for not reading first and was in the thoes of could I live with it or would I have to pay a gazillion dollars to get it fixed..you know that place right?

Anyway the fuse trick worked. I am a happy camper again. And just wanted to say thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.