BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the differential mount fails, you'll have to decide if you want an E-36 M3 dual mounting ear differential cover or a spare tire. You can't have both.

I went to my local dealer today (Yark BMW in Toledo, Ohio) and they pulled a car off the lot and into the service bay so I could get a good look from top to bottom. You just have to love the value added service they provide!

I don't see any problem with fitting my support structure inside the hollow xmbr or in the trunkfloor area. Instead of the dual mounting ears (two separate mounting points), you'd have to utilize a reinforced OEM mounting bracket. That is easily accomplished by sandwiching two (2) OEM brackets together. Nathan was probably the first person to go that route on his 2.8, perhaps three years ago now. I used the single ear sandwiched bracket and support structure when my 99 was reinforced last summer and it will soon be supercharged as well.

These are the pictures taken at Yark of a 2002 Z3/2.5:

Here is a shot of the sandwiched mount on my 99.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Any structural concerns with the reinforced OEM mount? I like and have used my spare tire.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Well ****, I was worried about that but I guess there is give and take everwhere
Randy thanks so much for checking that out, when you say that the diff mount is used is that a must as in , the pendant style will not work on our cars so we would need to left and a right oem type diff bracket
I should have bout a M

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
01silber said:
Well ****, I was worried about that but I guess there is give and take everwhere
Randy thanks so much for checking that out, when you say that the diff mount is used is that a must as in , the pendant style will not work on our cars so we would need to left and a right oem type diff bracket
I should have bout a M
Max, you told me you have Roadside Assistance. Hence you don't need a spare tire any more than an M owner. I wouldn't mind having a spare, but I've not found it a big deal to not have one (and yes, I've had a flat in the M). I certainly don't lose any sleep over it, and my annual mileage is higher than yours by a wide margin. Isn't Andy the only person to have you beat in the garage queen contest? :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Weight

Now the car is lighter,hence faster!And they need the edge!I keep a trailer on stand by,for big bang any way!

·
Registered
142 Posts
you could always re-locate the spare in the hatch covered in a tire tote :dunno:

just dont get rear-ended :eeps:

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Randy,
what is your shop schedule like right after HC?, do you have the bmw dual diff cover in stock
and prozac?
randy ill be calling you tomm evening :thumbup:

let it be said here , if there is a spot open rigth after HC , I am taking it

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
I would like to go this route.

What percentage of installation time is saved by going this route vs the dual ear?

·
358 Posts
Randy Forbes said:
If the differential mount fails, you'll have to decide if you want an E-36 M3 dual mounting ear differential cover or a spare tire. You can't have both.
Gotta have a spare. Otherwise... I'd've bought an M. ;)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Subframe Litigation and business proposition

Randy, what consideration have you given to protecting your repair method and them approaching BMW about this as a universally imposed fix in possible settlement of the mounting claims which may arise from the subframe litigation? Disclosure -- I am not involved in the litigation nor am I solicting any work in this regard. I will be interested in the repair even though my car shows no issues yet.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Z3Papa said:
Randy, what consideration have you given to protecting your repair method and them approaching BMW about this as a universally imposed fix in possible settlement of the mounting claims which may arise from the subframe litigation? Disclosure -- I am not involved in the litigation nor am I solicting any work in this regard. I will be interested in the repair even though my car shows no issues yet.
Well, thanks for asking, though I have been approaching this on a "let's see what happens next" mentality.

That said, I did file a provisional application through a local patent attorney some time back.

And while I would love to call the laser-cutting place and tell them my next order will be for 297,000 sets (minus the cars I've done/kits I've sold) I just don't see it happening :yikes:

The last car did (S-54 LSB Coupe) is in the Chicago area; perhaps that's close enough to you to see for yourself?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have heard nothing but rave reviews of your work. I think if I head down that path, I'd make arrangements to bring and drop it off rather than get parts from you and have someone re-invent the wheel. I am still under warranty for a while but will sure to face this issue some time down the road.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Randy,
Just so it is here when others look at this route , Am I correct in saying we should beable to use the stock exaust for the non M along with the oem dual ear cover and retain the tool tray>

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
01silber said:
Randy,
Just so it is here when others look at this route , Am I correct in saying we should beable to use the stock exaust for the non M along with the oem dual ear cover and retain the tool tray>
Too soon to say for sure; but from the pictures I last remember seeing, I think the exhaust will clear...

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
not finished yet but almost done with the spare tire cover that is in the trunk now(spare)
Found a carpet that is a near perfect match to the color and weird texture of the roadsters trunk.. Finished the lid and carpeted it first seeing how having the carpet drap down would work, if it does not relax with some steam ill prob make a second piece that follows the outer border of the tire

Attachments

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CORONET said:
Max, years ago alot of cars carried 2 spares. Are you just going with one?
Yeah, maybe we can get Sue to rig Max's car up with side-mount spares. You know, like a 1930's Packard... :angel:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts