BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing to replace the shocks on my 1996 Z3, front and back. Was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for what brand i should use or what brand i should avoid. I am kinda on a budget, so i am not looking for the best out, a good medium. any responds will be appreciated.:)

· Registered
2,312 Posts
I think the Bilsteins are considered the best economy-grade shocks. They're a little better than OEM, but not performance-grade. I put them on my car and they are certainly better than the worn-out shocks that were on it. The fronts are something like VE3-4401 and the rears are BE3-2386. You will also want to replace the rear shock mounts. Rogue Engineering and Ireland Engineering both make excellent RSMs.

· M Mad
10,530 Posts
Koni and Bilstein are the higher end. Boge are OEM replacement.

It depends on what you are looking for in the areas of ride and handling.

· Registered
209 Posts

· Registered
1,956 Posts
Those other brands are nice, sure, but the KYB's are half the price @ approx 120 ea vs/ approx 246 ea for the others. The quality has been great and offers an OEM ride quality.

· formerly updmst
687 Posts
Where are you buying shocks?

Tire Rack has front Koni Sports for $234 and rears for $115, Bilstein Sport fronts for $203 and rears for $88, Bilstein Touring fronts for $113 and rears for $83, KYB G2-2 fronts for $132 and rears for $36(!). http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...oModel=Z3+Roadster&autoYear=1996&autoModClar=

Not having any experience with KYB, I would recommend the Koni Sports. If that is over budget, the Bilstein Touring would be my next choice. The Touring should give you stock performance.

· M Mad
10,530 Posts
KYB are not bad. But Bilstein have a very long warranty and Koni are adjustable to make up for wear.

There are more than one choice, for different reasons.

I have Konis (double adjustables) or Bilsteins on all our vehicles, including the Jeep Grand Cherokee. :)

· Registered
99 BMW Z3 2.8, Coil-overs, PowerStop Brakes, 7.5inX16 Alloy Rims, & Personal Enhancements
287 Posts
I just replaced mine with the Bilstien touring, front and rear, non adjustable, for my daily driver and love tbe ride. Not to harsh and not to soft. Good luck with your choice.

· Registered
146 Posts
I have purchased KYBs for our 98, 2.8. Have not installed as yet, but have the units for the 4 corners, front strut boots/cushions and Lemforder strut mounts. Pleased with KYBs on two current Nissans, not expecting anything unusual on the Z3. The KYB shocks/struts do include a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

· Registered
146 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/slide-show/1998/BMW/Z3?ie=UTF8&brand=KYB&carId=005&partsNode=2286889011

From Amazon - both shocks and struts and the SB110 (per KYB catalog, this is the correct one for the 98 Z3, I hope so). Lemforder strut mounts from Amazon, actually delivered today. The two KYB struts and boots are German, the rear shocks are from Japan, the Lemforder's from Germany. Also have the Rogue RSMs that I need to install. Waiting to get coil spring pads and other misc. parts to complete the items.

Lemforder link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lemfoerder-W0133-1805700-LEM-Lemforder-Strut-Mount/dp/B001T1433Y/ref=au_pf_ss_4?ie=UTF8&Make=BMW%7C31&Model=Z3%7C214&Year=1998%7C1998&carId=005&n=15684181&s=automotive

· Registered
11 Posts
I have purchased KYBs for our 98, 2.8. Have not installed as yet, but have the units for the 4 corners, front strut boots/cushions and Lemforder strut mounts. Pleased with KYBs on two current Nissans, not expecting anything unusual on the Z3. The KYB shocks/struts do include a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Cross checking the parts they are the same on 97 and 98. let me know how it goes, Looking to do refreshing of front end and handling. Rear same time too.

· McDuck
57 Posts
I am in the same situation where as I was shopping for struts for my 98 z3 and Bilstien kept coming up in the recommendations I received in this forum. I was able to get their touring struts for $107.00 each. Now I just have to get them installed. Really looking forward to a better ride...

MCDz3

· BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,194 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
I just installed Sachs OEM shocks in my 98 Z3 2.8L (45K miles) along with the Meyle RSM and UUC reinforcement plates. Total from BAV Auto was $200 and change. The hardest part of the job was removing and reinstalling the interior trim. Don't forget to have an 18mm 6 point socket 1/2 drive ready to remove the lower shock mounting bolts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.