BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's,

The top of my Z3 is fraying at the right hand top corner of the rear window.

There is a plastic lip between the window and the top and the top material is coming loose from under this lip.

Any ideas on how to repair this before it gets worse ?

Greetxn Peter.

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
This is a common problem. When my original top did this, I got a little bit of silicone adhesive under the fabric and pressed it back into place under the window trim (black plastic lip). It held very well.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Just as Derek says; best to address it early, as the more the fabric frays, there's less to work with.

I prefer Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant; it's much more liquid-like, as opposed to a gell, and easier to get into the channel of the plastic molding. Masking the top will prevent any sealant from getting on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just as Derek says; best to address it early, as the more the fabric frays, there's less to work with.

I prefer Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant; it's much more liquid-like, as opposed to a gell, and easier to get into the channel of the plastic molding. Masking the top will prevent any sealant from getting on it.

Hi Randy,

thanks for the pictures and the exact product to use.

Do you (or anybody else) know where the canvas is originally bonded to, the plastic molding or the underlaying structure ?

My top is in rather good condition but the plastic window is getting a bit milky and pitted.
I'll have a go at cleaning and repairing the fraying, but am I going to make replacing the rear window more difficult in the future by making this repair ?

Thanks for the help, Peter

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
The plastic strip is attached to a replacement window, and has adhesive (double-sided tape) attached to it.

In other words, if you replace your window, you'll get a fresh start on keeping the fabric secured like when it was new.

If you think you'll replace the window, you probably shouldn't complicate the situation by using silicone now. Just don't put it off too long.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plastic strip is attached to a replacement window, and has adhesive (double-sided tape) attached to it.

In other words, if you replace your window, you'll get a fresh start on keeping the fabric secured like when it was new.

If you think you'll replace the window, you probably shouldn't complicate the situation by using silicone now. Just don't put it off too long.
Thanks for clarifying that one for me, Randy.
I guessed it would make it harder to replace the window if needed....

As I said before I'll first try and clean the window before contemplating a new one.....

As for now I glued the little bit of fraying with some addhesive, which works so far, but I'm not betting on it to hold forever.

Greetxn Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts