BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 BMW Z3. I just put on a new set of Big O Tires, 225/50r 16 92H BLK Doral SDL.
The left front tire rubs on the frame at full left turn. The right front tire does not rub at full turn.
From some BMW litature, if not the right tire with the specified tire size, rubbing may occur.
It would appear the Big O tires are a bit too wide. Big O is reluctant to replace the tires.
Anybody have any ideas how to address this issue.

The original tires on the car of the same size were Bridgestone with no rubbing. I am told that Bridgestone make several model Bridgestone tires of the same size. If true, does anybody know
what model Bridgestone was on the 2001 BMW Z3? Also, does anybody know what tire,
Bridgestone or other, is the right size or model in order to avoid rubbing?
Thanks
Al Concord

·
Registered
406 Posts
Might not be the tires's fault......

There might be a slight variance between 225/50-16 tires but not enough to cause rubbing. Check that the plastic inner splash panel is attached correctly. If its loose it can get in the way of the tire. Also do you have stock wheels? Aftermarket wheels need to be the correct offset or that can cause rubbing.

The Tirerack is your friend in comparing tires. Go to their website, its easy to navigate.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You don't rub with 255's?? What's your wheel setup? I'm running e46 m3 18 wheels with 10pm spacers. I want to run a wider setup but I'm worried about rubbing.
One set of ARC-8 17x9 (~42ET) and second set for Style 32's 17x8.5 (41ET) with 10mm spacer front and -2.5 camber street/-4.0 camber autocross and 12mm spacer with -2.2 camber rear. All other specs are in my signature. The only tires which have rubbed at full lock were AD08's which run very wide and are easily .5" wider than virtually all other brands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.