BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2002 Z3 2.5i
My stock OEM headlights are fine, I just really want the Angel Eyes upgrade, but don't know what to buy?? :dunno:
I have search the forums, but it all pretty thick & confusing stuff in here.

Just so you know: :thumbup:
- I like the LED look, but would do whatever to get the "circle" look.
- I DO NOT want the rings, (where u have 2 crack open the stock lights!!) I don't want 2 go through work & then they leak, etc...
- $ Money $ is not the top concern :bling:------> I just want good top quality lights!
- Basically I am just confused on HID vs Projections so I'm just not sure what to look for when shopping & what options are even available for the Z3s??

Any & all advice is helpful!!
Thanks in advance.
~Lisa

·
YYZED3M Driver
160 Posts
Welcome Ducky.....

I recently purchased and installed new headlights from Umnitza. The day after I ordered them I received a call from them... they talked me into an upgrade from what I had ordered. I am glad the called... The LED Halos and the projectors totally changed the look of the front end. The LEDs are almost bright enough for headlights....
Where in TN are you?

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently purchased and installed new headlights from Umnitza. The day after I ordered them I received a call from them... they talked me into an upgrade from what I had ordered. I am glad the called... The LED Halos and the projectors totally changed the look of the front end. The LEDs are almost bright enough for headlights....
Where in TN are you?

Well hello there "Crappy" (of I just couldn't resist - haha)
I am just South of Knoxville.

Actually, I am the Are Rep for TN for ZSCCA. You should check out my FaceBook page, trying to get others of us in the state connected.
www.facebook.com/groups/RockyTopRoadsters/

The problem I have is knowing what's the difference between the LED, HID & projectors?
So you bought the LEDs? Got a pic??
Those would be the smaller little lights to make up the ring rather than the solid light ring, right?
Sorry, I don't know the lingo yet, I'm trying to learn it & have the learning curve of being a GIRL! lol
Thanks.
~Lisa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not want to open the headlights to install the rings either. I would order complete units like:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20868
But it's expensive.
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20868
Thank you!!
This is an incredibly detailed link!! Kudos 4 sharing it!!
I will read this more & detail & let the hubby read as well.
Now I just need to actually "find" them for sale?

These were halo projectors. I have to figure out difference between these & LED & HID (which are just bulbs??)
Ugh! so many "options" I just want a link to the "plug & play" unit of best price & let's get this party started!!

Thanks,
~L

·
YYZED3M Driver
160 Posts
Ducky....

Glad to hear back so soon... I have the projectors and the LED's. Yes.. lots of little LEDs to make up a halo. They are BRIGHT..... and look good even in the sunshine..

Not a member of the ZSCCA as of yet.. I am a member of the BMWCCA. I believe the lights were about $400... high.. but cheaper than 1 BMW headlight.
They are "plug and play" except for the halos... I ran a tap wire to my front marker light... I will robably change that at some point to a different ocation...

Z3... in East TN... Has to be FUN!!!!

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,180 Posts
... These were halo projectors. I have to figure out difference between these & LED & HID (which are just bulbs??)...I just want a link to the "plug & play" unit of best price...
I think the halo is a ring of little LED bulbs. Compared to incandescent bulbs, Light Emitting Diodes are much brighter on much less power and don't make heat.
I think HID refers to the headlight bulbs inside the halos, and stands for High Intensity Discharge. HID bulbs do not have a filament, but are filled with halogen or xenon gas, which is brighter.
I think a halo projector is an assembly consisting of a halo ring integral around a reflector with an HID bulb in it - the projector part. As compared to a halo ring that is added around a headlight by heating and opening the case.

Sorry about the links; I see I posted the same link twice. The second link should have been this one, to the vendor of halo projector headlights. Plug and play...
http://www.carid.com/1997-bmw-z3-headlights/

I joined ZSCCA last fall, and wish there was a chapter closer to me. It might not be worth just having the magazine and website. I used to be in the BMW CCA (#1405, 1972-1995) and might change to that since there is a chapter here which I helped start in 1983.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear back so soon... I have the projectors and the LED's. Yes.. lots of little LEDs to make up a halo. They are BRIGHT..... and look good even in the sunshine..

Not a member of the ZSCCA as of yet.. I am a member of the BMWCCA. I believe the lights were about $400... high.. but cheaper than 1 BMW headlight.
They are "plug and play" except for the halos... I ran a tap wire to my front marker light... I will robably change that at some point to a different ocation...

Z3... in East TN... Has to be FUN!!!!

I do not require you to be a member of ZSCCA. I am the Rep & they help promote us, but this page & my vision is that all are invited.
Hopefully, you will eventually want to join, but it is not necessary.

·
YYZED3M Driver
160 Posts
Ducky...

Go to my profile and you can view some "crappy" pictures from my iPhone... Hopefully they will give you an idea of what the headlights and halos look like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts