BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 where to find original leather online?

3163 6
the drivers' seat of my Z, taninrot, has a little hole on the "oregon" part, the central hammered one. Here in italy is not possible to find anymore the leather in pieces, only the complete seat. And 1) it costs more than the entire machine 2) it will be oviosly slighy different due to the sun that changed a little the colour tonality. I'm searching a piece of leather with that particular hammered surface to restore it, but I can't find sites or shops to buy it.
In demolitions is only possible to find here complete interiors, always dirt, broken or at exorbitant prices. I can't spend the cost of my car to buy a complete interior for a 50x50 centimeters wide piece of leather :mad:

Anyone has suggestion? Site to find original leather, or cheap parts/seats to dismantle?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
You nailed it: you either buy new old stock seat covers from BMW (if they even still have them) or you buy them from a wrecking yard.

My suggestion would be to replace all of the "dot" leather in your car with solid aftermarket leather in tanin red. AndyM can help you locate a hide. I'd recommend Spinneybeck. Much higher quality than stock and it will look great.
but I like very much the contrast betwen dotted an non-dotted one, expecialli in the doors. And removing all the original leather for a little piece seems to me a big effort, and a less-original interior. All other leather parts are fine (expecially the just repaired dash :D ) and the fastest way may be a dismantled one. But here to find a single seat/a part of seat is almost impossible. And except for the little detail I'm talking about, impossible to find as new as mine. And for absurd prices! :dunno: maybe there is easiest?
You nailed it: you either buy new old stock seat covers from BMW (if they even still have them) or you buy them from a wrecking yard.

My suggestion would be to replace all of the "dot" leather in your car with solid aftermarket leather in tanin red. AndyM can help you locate a hide. I'd recommend Spinneybeck. Much higher quality than stock and it will look great.
Most good leather or upholstery shops can replace sections of leather, but if the rest of the seat is well-worn, it won't look right.

I bought all new seat leather from LeatherSeats.com and installed it myself. The leather was top-notch, and I could choose the colors and patterns I wanted. I also sent them my foam cushions for re-conditioning and repair, but that may not be economically feasible for you. They have several Youtube videos on their products and processes. In fact, my Z3 sport seats are featured on one of their videos.

I don't know if they ship overseas, but if they do, you can find a local shop to replace the seat covers or do it yourself.

If you have standard (non-sport) Z-3 seats, I have a set of new black leather covers I will sell you. I bought them before I realized that I had sport seats.
BMW never sold dot leather as a standalone part. They sold solid tanin red (we bought and used all of the available inventory) but we could never buy the dot leather. Maybe replace the dot leather with perforated leather to give you similar contrast?
but I like very much the contrast betwen dotted an non-dotted one, expecialli in the doors. And removing all the original leather for a little piece seems to me a big effort, and a less-original interior. All other leather parts are fine (expecially the just repaired dash :D ) and the fastest way may be a dismantled one. But here to find a single seat/a part of seat is almost impossible. And except for the little detail I'm talking about, impossible to find as new as mine. And for absurd prices! :dunno: maybe there is easiest?
here was available, a lot of time ago...now it isn't. perforated may be similar, but I'll have to reupholster ALL, not only the ruined part.

BMW never sold dot leather as a standalone part. They sold solid tanin red (we bought and used all of the available inventory) but we could never buy the dot leather. Maybe replace the dot leather with perforated leather to give you similar contrast?
If you have standard (non-sport) Z-3 seats, I have a set of new black leather covers I will sell you. I bought them before I realized that I had sport seats.
thanks for the hints, but I'll continue search oregon taninrot, in order to preserve as possible car's originality :)
...red is not an easy color to find..but it does show up on Ebay occasionally..& You might contact those Z3'ers who race their vehicles..seems like the largest group most likely to have replaced their Z3 seats..and one might just be lying around in someone's garage, waiting for you!...If you could patch the area, you might find enough red ostrich in a door panel(a pair of solid red panels were available cheap from a UK Ebayer when I checked-starting point of my make-your-own option)..If you have no other choice, or just enjoy the challenge: make your own!..it's just a pressed pattern that is contrast painted..the paint may be available through a German retailer currently on Ebay...BMW probably does have some of the stock..but getting it is another question altogether(they recycle old Z3's, ya know)...That's all I got..good luck!

Z3Cheers! dk
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.