BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the M's, the mirror on the passenger side will fit on the drivers side. This way you could have a wide angle (convex) mirror on the drivers side which would match the one on the passenger side. If you purchase the Euro one, it doesn't have the warning message on it. I had two of these on my M coupe until I changed to the non M mirrors. Part number for the Euro mirror is 51 16 2 492 932 $67.25 retail.
The non M passenger side mirror will not fit on the drivers side. I was told that the cars in Japan come with right hand drive (RHD) or left hand drive (LHD). So I ordered a RHD and a LHD passenger mirror. The LHD passenger mirror is the same as the stock passenger mirror minus the warning message. The RHD passenger matches this one as far as view angle is concerned again without the warning message. Both mirrors are heated.
I was unable to purchase the M or non M ones in NA. My friend in Germany got them for me.
Left mirror part number 51 16 8 397 885. Right mirror part number 51 16 8 397 886.
I was told that they were dual stage ones like the ones I have in my 318ti. The Japan ones I received are not.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Ron,

Funny thing you posted this...I was about to email you and ask for help locating these parts.

By the way, I finally got the clutch stop installed and it is very nice mod. Less than 5 minutes including pictures and a big improvement over the stock unit. Thanks for another great product!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm in need of a set of these convex mirrors for an M roadster. Has anyone found a way to get them here in the US? Has NA still insisted on us not having them here through the dealer? My dealer here in the Bay area has been less then helpful (actually, not helpful at all, and absolutely rude and condescending for any sort of special part order). Any help, advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Conway

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sold the M ones that I had.
I thought that LeatherZ was selling them.
If not, you will have to get someone from Europe to buy them for you.
Or you will have to ask your dealer to ask NA to add them to the NA system. Not likely, but I've had things like the no keyhole door handle surrounds added.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to be sure I have this straight... :)

Ron Stygar said:
On the M's, the mirror on the passenger side will fit on the drivers side. This way you could have a wide angle (convex) mirror on the drivers side which would match the one on the passenger side. If you purchase the Euro one, it doesn't have the warning message on it. I had two of these on my M coupe until I changed to the non M mirrors. Part number for the Euro mirror is 51 16 2 492 932 $67.25 retail.
This is the part # for the heated "either-side" MZ3 mirror?

The non M passenger side mirror will not fit on the drivers side. I was told that the cars in Japan come with right hand drive (RHD) or left hand drive (LHD). So I ordered a RHD and a LHD passenger mirror. The LHD passenger mirror is the same as the stock passenger mirror minus the warning message. The RHD passenger matches this one as far as view angle is concerned again without the warning message. Both mirrors are heated.
I was unable to purchase the M or non M ones in NA. My friend in Germany got them for me.
Left mirror part number 51 16 8 397 885. Right mirror part number 51 16 8 397 886..
Are these part numbers for Japanese RHD left and right mirrors ? Or are they part numbers for right side mirrors of LHD and RHD respectively?

In the picture attached to your notes there is yet another part # 51 16 8 119 724. What's that part # for?

Thanks Ron.

I am going to check with my part dept here in Ottawa. BMW Canada is directly under BMW AG, not part of BMW NA. There may be a chance that they will have access to the parts.

-- Karl

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Z3 wide angle (convex) mirrors

karlblomquist said:
Just to be sure I have this straight... :)

This is the part # for the heated "either-side" MZ3 mirror?

Are these part numbers for Japanese RHD left and right mirrors ? Or are they part numbers for right side mirrors of LHD and RHD respectively?

In the picture attached to your notes there is yet another part # 51 16 8 119 724. What's that part # for?

The M-Z3 NA mirrors are the same, size wise. The drivers side is one to one (flat) and the passenger side is convex with the warning message on it.
The Euro LHD passenger side mirror 51 16 2 492 932 is convex just like the NA one but does not have the warning message on it.
I replaced my drivers side one with this one. This makes the drivers side and passenger side both having convex mirrors.
I also replaced the passenger side with one of these to get rid of the warning message.

The non M-Z3 mirrors are different size wise. So I had to get a RHD one for the drivers side. (The RHD drive passenger side is our drivers side). To get rid of the warning message on the passenger side, I purchased a Euro LHD passenger side one.

The 51 16 8 119 724 is the dual stage convex mirrors that I have on my '97 318ti. I was told that the Japenese ones that I ordered for my non M-Z3 mirrors were dual stage. Turns out that they were not.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Better View

I have had the convex mirrors for about two seasons they are so clean of a look and you can see around the back of the car better.Just do not break then on the way out or in and make sure they snap in on all four points,Or they will be dangling from the heater wires and I advise to pull the fuse..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Better View

ARC///M said:
I have had the convex mirrors for about two seasons they are so clean of a look and you can see around the back of the car better.Just do not break then on the way out or in and make sure they snap in on all four points,Or they will be dangling from the heater wires and I advise to pull the fuse..
I ordered these today through my local dealer.

I'm not sure if Ron meant the Japanese version or the Euro version (or both) had to be imported from Germany, but BMW Canada has parts confirmation and pricing for local ordering of the Euro verision.

Price through local dealer is CDN$120 (about US$75) per side.

--
Thanks, Karl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.