BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I replaced my fuel filter. I cut open the old one to have a look. Not too bad, but at the price of these things from Max (oembimmerparts.com), worth doing. Ignore the scoring, that's from me cutting pulling it apart. The left end is longer than shown... I had to cut it twice to get to the element.

Some hourglass shape to it, and obviously it's discolored. But probably would've worked fine for many more miles. Local dealer told me they'd never ordered a fuel filter for any car with a plastic gas tank. My response was, "You never really know what you're putting in the car at the pump."

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Did you happen to turn it upside down before cutting it open to see what the fuel looked like that drained out of it? I usually do this when I replace my fuel filter to see if my fuel tank is contaminated. So far so good, the fuel has been clear with no debris each time.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you happen to turn it upside down before cutting it open to see what the fuel looked like that drained out of it? I usually do this when I replace my fuel filter to see if my fuel tank is contaminated. So far so good, the fuel has been clear with no debris each time.
Yes. No debris, looked clear.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Last night I replaced my fuel filter. I cut open the old one to have a look. Not too bad, but at the price of these things from Max (oembimmerparts.com), worth doing. Ignore the scoring, that's from me cutting pulling it apart. The left end is longer than shown... I had to cut it twice to get to the element.

Some hourglass shape to it, and obviously it's discolored. But probably would've worked fine for many more miles. Local dealer told me they'd never ordered a fuel filter for any car with a plastic gas tank. My response was, "You never really know what you're putting in the car at the pump."
Z4 one is in the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts