BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z4 and Satelite Radio

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dug01 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have an portable XM satellite radio reviever i would like to install in my 2005 Z4 roadster, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it or if it would be possible,

I don't have tape deck just the CD player.

I had this little portable XM unit in my old three series and it would connect it through my tape deck.( it also has different lines i can connect the sound to) I'd really like to use it in my Z4 roadster, I kinda get tired of the CD... and unfortuantley I don't have an AUX connection available....

any suggestions??

#2 ·
No problem it will work---Do a search in this forum for "aux input" and you will find instructions. If you don't have the CD changer then you need the "BMW Radio Auxiliary Input Kit" available from a BMW dealer for about $40, or do a search for other sources. You can install it yourself without tearing up the dash by removing the panel below the heater controls and reach up behind the radio and plug in the cable. I ran the other end (the input) through the front of the console and into the ashtray opening--my XM sportster mounts under the dash over the ashtray. I had to install a "ground loop isolator" I got from Crutchfield to eliminate noise. I installed the antenna on top of the dash as far forward as possible and hid the wire in the crack between the dash and windshield then under the dash to the hole in the panel--I buried the cig-lighter adaptor under the console and wired it to the back of the cig lighter itself and routed that out through a hole in the panel. It works great--just push mode button until "AUX" shows up in radio display and you are good to go...you can also plug an MP3 player into it also.

#4 ·
Hi,

thanks for the help! I wasn't able to find the instructions you mentioned in your post, but I am curious to know about the back of the radio... do I feel around behind the radio and plug in the cable in an availble slot? And yes i do not have a CD changer so I will need that part you mentioned.

This seems like a very simple installation

#7 ·
One easy fix is to buy an FM transmitter for the SAT radio. Then you can tune it in on your FM radio in the Z4. My friends use it and the sound is excellent. You can buy the unit almost anywhere even at some drug stores. :)

#8 ·
at first thats what I did--but if you travel you will be looking for blank FM stations...after installing the AUX input I realized how bad the FM transmitter sounded, and now I can hook up my MP3 player also. Many sat radios have built in transmitters

#11 · (Edited)
XM Roady install in Z4

Walter--check your e-mail I sent the info to both email addys--maybe your mail software rejected it because it contained an attached file..check all boxes--your security system may have put it in another mailbox. Here are the pics of my installation. The USB cable in pic2 is for my Tom-Tom( the Tom-Tom suction cups to the round disk ) and my MP3 Player--it is connected to the backside of the cig lighter socket. The mounting shown in 3rd pic is one of those right angle thingys that lumber yards sell to nail framing lumber together--it is double sided taped to the back of the radio--I screwed 4 washer head sheet metal screws into the panel bottom just far enough that I can slide the bracket in tightly. To hide it I just slide it out and disconnect the 3 wires and stuff them up into the panel hole---or I lay a hat over it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.