BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit:
I had asked a question on here about my z4 on stock setup no drop etc, except for upgrading to 19 inch wheels. My rear tires started to wear out on the inner edges and one went flat and my question was if the stock camber could be adjusted or would I have to buy a camber kit. Well somebody else on another forum pointed me in the direction that it can be adjusted and he went 19s with a 2 inch drop so hope this helps out anyone on here who had been researching for days.. Thanks

·
Underway on Nuclear Power
1,131 Posts
You have limited camber adjustment on the rear wheels. The Fronts can be adjusted by pulling the top alignment pins, although most techs don't know this and BMW does not have a procedure for this.

Now, could you be more specific on which set (fronts, rears or both) that you want to adjust and in what direction you want to adjust them? Less camber or more camber.
Most Z4 owners want MORE camber for better control/handling. If you want less camber to save some pennies on tires, you may not like the way the car handles and rides anymore.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Aren't there rear adjustable control arms which can be installed on Z4's that I've seen for sale at various vendors like UUC? No endorsement of UUC intended.

·
1,131 Posts
Aren't there rear adjustable control arms which can be installed on Z4's that I've seen for sale at various vendors like UUC? No endorsement of UUC intended.
Sure there are, but you do have a limited amount of delta designed into the suspension using the eccentric bolt.

I was able to dial in -2.0 of rear camber with the stock control arms. If I want to go further, I would need adjustable control arms.

I think you can dial OUT most of the rear camber, but why the hell would you? This is what I think the OP wants but is not clear in his post

·
Some Say...he apexes late
134 Posts
Also, there is an inexpensive 'camber bolt' kit from Turner Motorsports that adds washers on the front knuckles, allowing you to get to -2 and beyond up front without camber plates. As to why you'd reduce rear camber, it will make the rear end more willing to rotate in a corner. That's not a bad thing to reduce understeer, given how front-heavy these cars are. Combining more negative front camber and less negative (more positive) rear camber will make the car much more neutral. Dealers wont do this as it's considered less 'safe' by the factory. Personally I despise understeer and find it not at ALL 'safe' or 'comforting' for the car to go basically straight on (i.e. push) when I turn the wheel.

Per THIS article from Tire Rack, ways to reduce understeer include:

-Higher front tire pressure
-Lower rear tire pressure
-Larger front tire section (increase front traction)
-Smaller rear tire section (decrease rear traction, rear rotates sooner)
-More negative front camber
-More positive rear camber
-Softer front springs
-Stiffer rear springs
-Thinner (weaker) front sway bar
-Thicker (stronger) rear sway bar
-Weight distribuation more rearward
- AND my own two cents: Trailbraking, and a heavy right foot :)

·
1,131 Posts
Inexpensive!! That's an understatement. Hell, it's only $15.00... and only took 20 minutes to install, and yes, I now run -2.5' of camber in the front. I would not dial it back for anything. Car is neutral with a tad of oversteer.... just the way it should have come from the factory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts