BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... cheesy or not (I tend to think not), I bought two BMW chrome tips for my black '05 z4 3.0i. I think the combination of chrome accents on a black car always looks great. So I purchased a set of geniune BMW ones off of e-bay and they arrived today.
I must say I was VERY impressed with the overal quality and how heavy duty they were. These are not the low quality ones you see on honda imports. :) So I began to install them on my car and the fit around the pipes is just increadibly tight. So tight that I was worried I might have made a mistake, because I hate to "force" things into place. Especially on such a nice car. The instructions do say to "knock" them onto the existing pipes, as far as they will go. So with quite a bit of fear I took a block of wood up aginst the chrome pipes... and began swinging. Let me tell you.... the whole idea of pounding something onto my car is a bad one! But apparently you really do have to start whacking on it pretty good. They really do slip on almost all the way. One did ultimately go on slightly further than the other, but they look correct in the position they are in. there are even two screw on terminals underneath to add hold to the chrome sleeves. But it is almost laughable that they are there. There is absolutely NO WAY those chrome pipes will ever come off the stock ones again. It is a permanent mod. But that is ok... I like the look and have no intention of changing it.

So... I basically wrote this to let others know of my adventures, about what I thought, and the difficulties I went through. If others were thinking about doing the same... I do reccomend them. And do not panic about having the whack on the chrome pipes, they hold up just fine. Just place a nice smooth piece of wood, tight up against the pipe... and you should be fine... enjoy...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well... cheesy or not (I tend to think not), I bought two BMW chrome tips for my black '05 z4 3.0i. I think the combination of chrome accents on a black car always looks great. So I purchased a set of geniune BMW ones off of e-bay and they arrived today.
I must say I was VERY impressed with the overal quality and how heavy duty they were. These are not the low quality ones you see on honda imports. :) So I began to install them on my car and the fit around the pipes is just increadibly tight. So tight that I was worried I might have made a mistake, because I hate to "force" things into place. Especially on such a nice car. The instructions do say to "knock" them onto the existing pipes, as far as they will go. So with quite a bit of fear I took a block of wood up aginst the chrome pipes... and began swinging. Let me tell you.... the whole idea of pounding something onto my car is a bad one! But apparently you really do have to start whacking on it pretty good. They really do slip on almost all the way. One did ultimately go on slightly further than the other, but they look correct in the position they are in. there are even two screw on terminals underneath to add hold to the chrome sleeves. But it is almost laughable that they are there. There is absolutely NO WAY those chrome pipes will ever come off the stock ones again. It is a permanent mod. But that is ok... I like the look and have no intention of changing it.

So... I basically wrote this to let others know of my adventures, about what I thought, and the difficulties I went through. If others were thinking about doing the same... I do reccomend them. And do not panic about having the whack on the chrome pipes, they hold up just fine. Just place a nice smooth piece of wood, tight up against the pipe... and you should be fine... enjoy...
Thanks for the info. I have a 2003 Z4 and was thinking of doing the same

·
Calvinball Professional
1,104 Posts
I put a set on my old '97 2.8 through the same process. I lubed everything up with WD40 before whacking :angel: and it went on easy. Washed the whole thing down with soapy water, and the remaining WD40 between things burned/evaporated off with no discoloration or residue.

A few months later I bought a Supersprint.:p

·
matching revs in
400 Posts
there are even two screw on terminals underneath to add hold to the chrome sleeves. But it is almost laughable that they are there. There is absolutely NO WAY those chrome pipes will ever come off the stock ones again.
Remember that metal expands when it gets hot.;)

·
Luv'in Texas
1,001 Posts
I used a rubber mallet to put mine on. It worked well. I found I had to make them a bit egg shaped to get them on. I carefully did that with the rubber mallet as well.

I really like the looks compared to the normal exhaust pipes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded, I am glad if this information was useful. Sort of the whole point of this site. Enjoy the pics of the finished project...

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts