BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The early Z3 Roadsters and coupes had roadster or coupe on the tach.

Had some coupes and roadster decals made in chrome and white.
White coupes are all gone so I tried it with a chrome one on the Z4.
Will get some more white coupe ones done and also capitalize the C.

Z3 Tach:

Z4 Tach: Purchased a cluster for $40. It was a disaster but I can use it for this and -Firestone can play with the LEDs.

Attachments

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was wondering about this the other day...

True or False:
MZ3 coupe was formally (ie: OE window sticker) called "M coupe"
MZ4 coupe is formally called "M Coupe"

I think this is the correct way.
Yes.
Door handle is M Coupe.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
Was wondering about this the other day...

True or False:
MZ3 coupe was formally (ie: OE window sticker) called "M coupe"
MZ4 coupe is formally called "M Coupe"

I think this is the correct way.
-Technically, it's Z4 M Coupe, Z4 M Roadster, Z4 3.0, and so on, according to BMW NA. I can't speak to the Z3s.

So the only current M Coupe is the Z4 M Coupe. The M6 is a coupe, but "Coupe" is not part of its name. The M3 Coupe is listed as such, not as M Coupe.

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
No, actually the door tag has is as "M roadster" and BMW FS lists it as "M ROADSTER". I was wrong about my registration, it actually just says "98 BMW". :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ron do you have any roadster decals left?
For the tach no. At the time I had to do a minimum of 20 and there was not much demand.
I also did some roadster ones for the door sill. I have eight of them in stock.
$10 each plus shipping via check USA.

The early Z3 M roadsters and coupes came with roadster and coupe decals on the door sills right under the ///M.
So we used the decals for the newer ones. Had them on my Z4 M Coupe but since had them engraved.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The early Z3 Roadsters and coupes had roadster or coupe on the tach.

Had some coupes and roadster decals made in chrome and white.
White coupes are all gone so I tried it with a chrome one on the Z4.
Will get some more white coupe ones done and also capitalize the C.

Z4 Tach: Purchased a cluster for $40. It was a disaster but I can use it for this and -Firestone can play with the LEDs.

No room for the capital C. Picked up some white tach and chrome sill coupes today.
Tach coupe ones are mostly uacceptable. A do over.
Using them for location on my spare cluster.
Will be picking up the rectangle 14 mill pads for the Z4 hood rubber pieces next week.

Attachments

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No room for the capital C. Picked up some white tach and chrome sill coupes today.
Tach coupe ones are mostly uacceptable. A do over.
Using them for location on my spare cluster.
Will be picking up the rectangle 14 mill pads for the Z4 hood rubber pieces next week.

Picked up the tach coupe in white, chrome coupe sill and rectangle 14 mill pads Z4 hood rubber pieces.

Tach white coupe: $8 each plus $4.75 priority mail shipping with tracking USA via check.

coupe chrome sill: $10 each plus $4.75 priority mail shipping with tracking USA via check.

14 mill pads: $5.49 each plus $4.75 priority mail shipping with tracking USA via check.

You have to make sure where you place them. Once it touches you can't move them.
14 mill pads I sprayed water which lets you move them around.

Attachments

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Z4 Cluster removal

Spent some time with my spare clusters to see if I could figure out taking it apart with no damage.
Once you figure it out it's easy. Lot of dust behind the clear plastic.

Remove four T8 or 9 TORX screws from the back of the cluster.

Remove back of cluster releasing the five tabs. Two on top and three on the bottom.

Release SR and clock switch arms by pushing the small tabs at the bottom of the arms at the end of the arms.

Remove white/circuit board with the two tabs on the top sides from the front piece.

Remove the speed and tach surrounds by pushing from the bottom edge of the surround pushing from the back.
Being separate for the install it let's you put the black piece back and then the surrounds.
This way you don't mar the speed and tach faces putting it back as an assembly.

While apart I added .060" VHB double sided tape to the gong and to the inside of the back piece.
Hopefully it tones it down.

Also added the coupe in white to the tach.

If I get time before HC, I will try to move the speed needle to be right on at 70 MPH.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ron,

What method did you use to remove the needles on the cluster? Do they pull straight off?

·
Joiner
667 Posts
For the tach no. At the time I had to do a minimum of 20 and there was not much demand.
I also did some roadster ones for the door sill. I have eight of them in stock.
$10 each plus shipping via check USA.

The early Z3 M roadsters and coupes came with roadster and coupe decals on the door sills right under the ///M.
So we used the decals for the newer ones. Had them on my Z4 M Coupe but since had them engraved.
Ron, I'll take two of the roadster decals. PayPal OK with you?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts