Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Z4 2005
I am writing to just say do not buy a 2005 BMW Z4. I was driving on the interstate and hit a pretty deep pothole. When I came out of it, i realized I could no longer accelerate. To my utter dismay I quickly looked behind me and the entire engine had fell out. This was astonishing because during an accident the year before the engine also fell out. Another year another engine should be the motto of this car. Never again good sir. Never again.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Struggling a bit with your description of what happened. The engine and transmission are bolted together into an integrated assembly that's approximately 24" wide, 28" tall, and almost 6 feet long (engine and trans combined). There's just a bit over 4" clearance between the bottom of the car and the road so if your engine could fall out (it really can't but that's a different story) the car would be thrown at least a foot and a half in the air to clear to engine and transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Struggling a bit with your description of what happened. The engine and transmission are bolted together into an integrated assembly that's approximately 24" wide, 28" tall, and almost 6 feet long (engine and trans combined). There's just a bit over 4" clearance between the bottom of the car and the road so if your engine could fall out (it really can't but that's a different story) the car would be thrown at least a foot and a half in the air to clear to engine and transmission.
Am puzzled as well :dunno:

·
Living the Dream
2015 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Terra Brown
69 Posts
Definitely calling BS on this one... :rofl:

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Apparently it can happen

I can see the possibility on some FWD cars where only the front and rear mounts are holding the engine/transaxle assembly in place. You're still going airborne as it goes under the car which would be quite the event. Even if there was room to clear the cross member, the tranny is still bolted to the drive shaft so the giubo would have to give way also to turn everything loose to leave it behind you on the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A crocodile came up, bit my guts out. And he bit me into parts, pieces. My leg went <=that way, and my head went that way=>.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts