BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Some Say...he apexes late
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Since my Roadster did not come equipped with factory Nav, I use and aftermarket GPS. I wanted a clean, removeable GPS mounting solution that did not involve screwing brackets into the dash or messing with the otherwise clean lines of the interior. The suction cup on the windshield thing sort of works but squeaks/vibrates and looks cheesy. I did find a decent visor clip mount but it required you to keep the passenger visor down to see the screen. I will reserve that for rental cars in the future.

I decided to adapt a spare ashtray into a GPS mount, since the whole thing comes out easily. I purchased the standard gps mount pieces from gpscity.com. The RAM Mount components are high quality.

Since I don't smoke, my ashtray/storage bin is basically unused, and it has power right there at the lighter. The BEST PART in my opinion is that everything is totally removable with no traces.

I purchased a spare ashtray from my dealer and bolted a GPS mounting base and arm into the bottom. I use a small Garmin i5 unit which fits easily in the space between the shifter and the dash. I believe a Nuuvi would also fit here.

Here are some assembly pics:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/album.ph...pictureid=5364

http://www.zpost.com/forums/album.ph...pictureid=5363

I had to use some nylon spacers to raise the gps base about half an inch to get the necessary clearance at the top. It fits really well now.

I decided to paint the bezel on my Garmin black so it wouldn't stand out so much in the otherwise black interior. i removed it and taped up the display and buttons. Conventional auto paint would not stick at all, so I went to gloss black plastic paint from Krylon. That looks acceptable, but not excellent. I may cover it in flat black adhesive Vinyl if I get bored.

Lastly, the Garmin can run on batteries, so I am using them at the moment. I plan to wire in a short cable to the power below the Cig lighter using a Dc-DC buck transformer to drop the 12V to 5V, 500mA. I found a tiny one online. I'll post more when that's done.

regards

rob

·
Registered
591 Posts
VERY nicely done! I'll be bookmarking this idea for the near future. Cleanest install I've seen so far. Great work!:thumbup:

·
Registered
378 Posts
What I do is use my Garmin Nuvi 200 and just rest it in the Ash Tray. I let it charge if need be. No drills or holes. It is about the same size as the ash tray so it sits really well. I'm considering 2 bits of plastic that would stick to the back of the Nuvi just to bolster it a bit. Maybe a thin bit of Velcro on the front of the ashtray even. I can then remove the velcro IF I sell the car along with removing the glue with alcohol or soapy water.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nice idea---I have mine in a simular location--reception is fine and it is easy to see. I just throw my hat over it when I park (unless the top is down)...

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's real sweet. Personally, that's where I keep my iPod. Something I like about the Z4s with wood dash, is that a suction mount will attach nicely and will not fall off as if i were on glass. I just stick mine to the right of my radio which gives nice reception and is in a perfect viewing position. Doesn't mar the wood surface one bit and I have been using it that way for a year now (I only keep it attached when I am using my Nuvi)...

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI the RAM mount part numbers

Voila
Text Font Line Parallel

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
upate with Nuvvi

Here's an update with my Nuvvi.
Vehicle Car Center console Family car Hatchback

·
Registered
98 Posts
As another option you can buy a mount that connects to the front of an air duct. It sort of clips right onto the duct louvers. I use one of these mounts when I go on business trips and get a rental car. I bought one off of Ebay for $5 including shipping.
Jim

·
BMW Lover Since 1972
146 Posts
Post pictures of Clip On

When you get it and get the clip-on installed, let us know how it works with the Z4 louvers and provide some pictures if possible. I just ordered one with a new Nuvi 855 as well...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts