BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 04 z4 2.5 and I wonder if any of you guy have the instruction or guide to install prep kit? Also you know the prep parts number#?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have all the info on my other computer. The parts can be found on the Pelican parts website for around $78 each side. I could not find any how to instructions, just a lot of posts where people have paid for 3 to 4 hours labor at the dealership. I did the install my self and was able to do each side in 30 minutes with basic tools. The Z4 is prewired for the defroster, so you just have to install the receivers in and plug the wires in. This does not have to be a dealer install. If you need I can send the info from my other computer at work on monday. Good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, I would also be interested in the info and instructions. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JBZ, what happen? I thought you gonna post the information on monday. Man I been waiting for the information. Please post soon, I need the information to install the prep kits.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry, tonight for sure. I hopefully am in the process of getting another Z4 (sold mine) and it was a decide now think later deal (Swapalease). I promise to come through. Last month I walked someone through the job on the phone!

My previous Z4 at Homecoming.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check these part numbers out.
P/N 54217043963 Left
P/N 54217043964 Right

Please PM me your emails as I have two BMW Tech Sheets (PDF Files) that I will send. These parts can be seen on BMW (www.realoem.com) parts. They have gone up a few dollars since last year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks John for the docs. Question - does my car already have the wiring harness (build date 02/2006)? The wiring harness doc said it was for cars with build dates from 10/2004 to 03/2005. Kind of a short timeframe. Thanks again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine had a build of 12/02. The wiring harness was installed from the factory on mine and everyone else's I have run into so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my prep kits today from bmw dealer. Happy but still try to figure how to get the plastic parts out but thanks for the instruction. Hey JBZ is the prep kit on the left have two wire and the right have one wire? I just want to make sure nothing missing so i could exchange.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You are testing my memory, after you pull the caps (rubber) off where the retrofit hardware goes on each side, you will have or should I say see what I call the dummy hardware. Each side (dummy hardware) has a small bolt facing the front of the car. Before that though use a small (2 inch) pastic putty knife to gently pry off the large speaker grille on each side behind the seats. Unscrew the panel to hang loose to facilitate removing the dummy hardware. Also pull back weather stripping down to the sill plate. The wiring diagram will show you where to look for the plug ins. You might have to file some off the edge face (new hardware) where the bolt goes through. PM me with your number if you have any questions. I have unlimited weekends. Good luck!!! Kit installed below.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JBZ, my other question you didn't answer. Look at the prep kits, the one on the right have one pine wire and on the left have two pine wire. Is the one on the right with one pine wire is correct or it missing one wire. Let me know so i could exchange. I read the instruction today, I think that is for 10/04-03/05 that need hardtop wiring harness retrofit kit. Luck my year was not made between it or i need to get retrofit kit. Well thank for some of the detail, i will try to install tommorow and will post picture up for other to do it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I believe one side has two wires. Do one side at a time. You will see what I mean by the Z coming with dummy receivers. The wiring diagram will help show you where to plug into the existing harness. Remember the passenger side harness has a blank plug in it that you have to unclip to get out. It was really easy install, it's just nobody has any info on it and my camera was loaned out at the time I did the install. JB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
First of all I want to thanks JBZ and my bro who help me install. At 10pm I decided to install the prep kits and complete 11:30pm. One hour and half to install, don't waist money let the dealer install from $200-$700 depend where you live. (I think) Unless your z4 made from 10/04-03/05 then you need hardtop wiring hardness part# 54210403610 cost $44 and the instruction to install ask JBZ. If your year made is not between you don***8217;t need it just install and plug and play!
Prep kits:

Tools:

Dummy hardware (is the part you replace for the prep kit)

First step: Remove speaker cover and the screws.

Remove the screw.

Remove weather stripping

Remove the screw on the dummy hardware

See the metal block the screw, use a big screw driver to bent it or cut it but I bent it much easier. Then remove the screw

And use the screw to install the prep kits(no pix).Then plugs in the wires from the prep kit to the plug in your car.
Right Wire PLUG

Left wire PLUG

Plug it in and put the plastic, weather, screws back together. The step is the same for right or left except for the plug location.
The final achievement is THIS!

Finally don***8217;t waist money, do it yourself!!! It Free!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great job!!!!!!!! Great job on the pictures too. This will help everyone save a bunch of money. I have heard anywhere from $250 to $700 for the dealer to do this install. You will get a lot of looks with the hardtop on. :):):)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
JBZ, one more question I want to ask you. Look at the picture below, that wire caming from the hardtop. What it for? There are one wire on the left and one on the right of the hardtop. Just don't know what it for and where to plugs it. Thank
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both of that picture are the same wire from the driver side. It came from the hardtop, no idea what it for?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do you see the male plug at the bottom right of your last picture? To complete the defroster circut. Look for the male adaptor around where the top meets the receiver.

·
Bimmer Addict
209 Posts
so u can add the prep kit for hardtop if u didn't order it from the factory at purchase? What was the total price? (parts and labor)

Does it void the warranty?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts