BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Z4 3.0 and the Hood release is jammed. The release cable has freedom but doesnt seem to move the piece attached to the endpoint of the cable under the hood. It appears that the cable is supposed to pull a metal piece out out of the way, allowing a cam to rotate out of the way and release a larger spring loaded cam that allows the hood to be unlatched. One can see the tension on the line but the metal at the endpoint of the cable doesnt budge, even if you put a metal hook on it and pull it in the direction of the cable. Mention has been made of using a screwdriver to manually release the hood latch but I cant see how based on what I can see of the mechanism. Please advise.

Pete

·
Petrolhead
340 Posts
This happened to me when my '08 Z4 was a couple months old. To get the hood open, you have to access the panels behind the headlights. Turn the wheels to the right to access the left wheel well (turn left for the right well). There are two panels that open in each well, the top one is for the headlights, bottom is for fogs. There are four screws on the top panel. Turn the four screws and take off the panel. You'll see a silver clip attached to a wire above the headlights, the wire is what gets pulled by the hood release. Press the silver clip (one on each side of the hood). This will release the hood to the second stage so that the hood can be opened. Unfortunately, I do not know how to completely repair the problem, as my Z is still under warranty and I had the dealer fix it. But that's how you open it.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Turn the wheels to the right to access the left wheel well (turn left for the right well). There are two panels that open in each well, the top one is for the headlights, bottom is for fogs. There are four screws on the top panel. Turn the four screws and take off the panel. You'll see a silver clip attached to a wire above the headlights, the wire is what gets pulled by the hood release. Press the silver clip (one on each side of the hood). This will release the hood to the second stage so that the hood can be opened.
Thanks for the tip. Just tried it on my Coupe.
Not sure if it will work on the pre 2006 Z4's with the single catch in the middle.

·
Luv'in Texas
1,001 Posts
My 2004 has the hood latch in the middle. I would think if you removed the Grills, you could get right at the latch. I can see daylight through the grills from the top.

I am not sure how to remove the Grill inserts (Ron?)

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've popped the grills but the mechanism lies behind a structural support. It seems that there is a sliding metal piece that is pulled down via the release cable. When that piece is pulled down, a spring loaded cam is released that causes the spring loaded hood latch to release. I'm just not sure how to safely force the release

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a central hood latch and the cable movement is vertical. There are no slots to utilize a screwdriver. It appears BMW went to a new latch model in later years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the WD-40 once again came to the rescue. The cable appeared whole but the mechanism was jammed. But the WD-40 eventually seeped through and after 3 days of spraying, the hood finally popped. Lesson learned, grease the crap out of the mechanism regularly and check it regularly too. Thanks for everyones advice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My hood was becoming difficult to open without pulling the lever way back. I greased it with WD-40 as well, and now it opens like new. Strange since there was not any sign of rust or anything, but the WD-40 made it like new. I decided to put some on the door hinges too, opens nicely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't had the problem myself, but I've read on forums that the trick is to get someone to press down lightly on the hood while you pull the release. This takes the load off of the mechanism and allows it to work.

Then you can get in there with the lubricant of your choice to ensure that it doesn't happen again.:)

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
middle catch

I have the older bmw with the middle latch. My cable has actually come out of the latch mechanism and is free floating. I was wondering if anyone has a picture etc or diagram of the older latch that shows how it works so I can try to open the hood with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I haven't had the problem myself, but I've read on forums that the trick is to get someone to press down lightly on the hood while you pull the release. This takes the load off of the mechanism and allows it to work.

Then you can get in there with the lubricant of your choice to ensure that it doesn't happen again.:)

Bill
I just encountered this problem with my 2005 Z4. What Bill suggests, above, worked like a charm for me. Hood release is in the middle/front on my 2005.

Once I got the hood open again, I sprayed the latch with white grease. Works quite well, now.

I've been coming around here for many years now and, once again, let me extend a heart-felt thanks to all that participate and share their knowledge and experiences here! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well the WD-40 once again came to the rescue. The cable appeared whole but the mechanism was jammed. But the WD-40 eventually seeped through and after 3 days of spraying, the hood finally popped. Lesson learned, grease the crap out of the mechanism regularly and check it regularly too. Thanks for everyones advice.
What exactly did you grease after the grill removal? My hood is stuck. It has a central latch and last time it was stuck I could open it using the press from the top mechanism. But this time it didn't work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts