BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 04 Z4 owner. The heated seat on the driver side nearly cooks my ass even on the lowest setting. Anyone with info or recommendations please share.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Forever Fast
225 Posts
Umm... Only use it when it's really cold, and only while the heating is warming up perhaps... ;-)

Women seem to like it more than guys I find. Maybe cause they got a little more padding back there.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Women seem to like it more than guys I find. Maybe cause they got a little more padding back there.
I'm glad I didn't put that in writing... :angel:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haven't had an issue with my Z, but actually burned a hole right through my leather seat on my 01-525. Size of the hole was about the size of a nickel, and actually burned a hole in my jacket. Called BMW North America, which in turn called my local BMW dealer and they said they would pay $500 of the estimated $1000 to replace the seat. They can't replace the element, have to replace the entire seat. BMW did have a recall on a certain model and year, but I can't remember the entire details of the recall. I'm sure it was a 5 series, but can't remember the year. Sounds like an engineering issue with the heating element. Regretably I haven't used my bun warmer since. My wife still enjoys her side of the car.:mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Haven't had an issue with my Z, but actually burned a hole right through my leather seat on my 01-525. Size of the hole was about the size of a nickel, and actually burned a hole in my jacket. Called BMW North America, which in turn called my local BMW dealer and they said they would pay $500 of the estimated $1000 to replace the seat. They can't replace the element, have to replace the entire seat. BMW did have a recall on a certain model and year, but I can't remember the entire details of the recall. I'm sure it was a 5 series, but can't remember the year. Sounds like an engineering issue with the heating element. Regretably I haven't used my bun warmer since. My wife still enjoys her side of the car.:mad:
Hahaha...
This is amazing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't had an issue with my Z, but actually burned a hole right through my leather seat on my 01-525.
Yeah, that's sort of what I was afraid of. It's THAT hot. It's not even comfortable ... 5 minutes max and I have to shut it off. Yes, I'm using it now ... in May. Hey when you've got a convertible and it's 50-something degrees out and you wanna ride with the top down, the heat makes it all do-able.

Hopefully someone comes up with more info.

Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
378 Posts
You should actually claim for clothes damage and damage to yourself/wife. This is unacceptable and could be a Law Suit if you wanted it to be. Basically you're beeing passed off with faulty electronics that could cause a fire! Depends on the age of the car but it might be worth pursuing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts