BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2007 Z4 Coupe crossed the 100K mark and almost immediately started having Limp Mode issues. That is, driving in standard driving mode (not sport mode) it would randomly go into LM at around 60 mph, usually on an incline on a downshift. I would get off the road and restart and the car would reset. BTW the code it threw was specific to the transmission. My mechanic suggested changing the transmission fluid and filter--not cheap but worth the gamble. He said, "It REALLY needed doing." He told me to drive it for a while and wait and see. It drove fine for a week then it happened again! Then, I started experimenting with different driving modes and styles and discovered that it NEVER happens in Sport Mode... ever. So now, at low speeds, I drive in standard mode and when I accelerate to highway cruising speeds I push the sport button. I'm controlling the limp issue, but my gas mileage has drop considerably. Plus, I'm thinking of getting rid of this Z4 and perhaps finding another coupe with lower miles. However, I don't want to sell it with a bad transmission, if that's indeed the issue. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. My mechanic has suggested possibly going with another fluid/filter change. He said the transmission had been so gunked up that another fluid change might totally fix it, but he acknowledged that it would be a costly risk. He also said that he doesn't want to sell me a transmission because he's never seen one like mine totally fail.

Is there a good possibility that it's not the transmission itself, but something peripheral to it?
Has anyone experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
How long have you owned the vehicle? Do you use premium or regular gas? when was the last time you tried a bottle of techron in the tank?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Z4 Limp Mode-Never in Sport Mode

I've had the car for nearly 3 years. Bought it with 71K mi. The previous owner appeared to maintain the car very well and had maintenance records, receipts etc. I've always run name brand premium in car, usually Shell, Texaco or Valero, though it's been a while since I've run any gas treatment through it but I will. Thanks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Transport mode.... google it...

How recently was battery changed... if older battery it might be time for a change. You might also ...besides checking battery voltage before starting... also check voltage output from alternator. Once you've ruled out the electrical....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Z4 Limp Mode-Never in Sport Mode

Thanks for the input. Luckily, I became very familiar with Transport Mode within my first two weeks of BMW ownership because I had to purchase a new battery for my Z4. In retrospect, it was a very quick exercise in learning who were honest upfront mechanics and who was trying to make BMW ownership into some sort of grand mystery that could only be solved by an open wallet. Learning about Transport Mode led me to Eddie who is now my mechanic and friend. He takes care of my Z4 as if it were his own. Other shops played dumb and said it could take days to get to the bottom of why certain things weren't functioning after the installation of my new battery. I pulled into his shop and he immediately knew what was up. He reset my system while I waited and didn't charge me a thing to do it. He gained a customer for life that day.

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
942 Posts
Thanks for the input. Luckily, I became very familiar with Transport Mode within my first two weeks of BMW ownership because I had to purchase a new battery for my Z4. In retrospect, it was a very quick exercise in learning who were honest upfront mechanics and who was trying to make BMW ownership into some sort of grand mystery that could only be solved by an open wallet. Learning about Transport Mode led me to Eddie who is now my mechanic and friend. He takes care of my Z4 as if it were his own. Other shops played dumb and said it could take days to get to the bottom of why certain things weren't functioning after the installation of my new battery. I pulled into his shop and he immediately knew what was up. He reset my system while I waited and didn't charge me a thing to do it. He gained a customer for life that day.
Most don't know this, but beyond resetting the limp mode, you can completely remove it from ever happening. My Z4 went into limp mode, but I knew what is was.

Found a local guy who had a laptop and a program. He explained that he could reset it, but it was better to disable the option all together.

Wish I had got him to program/code a few more things, but at the time only I was thinking immediate need. And when I did find a few things I wanted coding (by even more reading), I found out his laptop was stolen from his vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts