BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vivan los Bimmers!
205 Posts
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Were you using the stock ContiSportContact tires on the track? What was your opinion?
What were your impressions of the car handling on the track?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rimblas said:
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Were you using the stock ContiSportContact tires on the track? What was your opinion?
What were your impressions of the car handling on the track?
The Continental ContiSportContact tires are the weakest point of the car when it comes to handling, as they slide around quite a bit. If you had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, or another good R-compound tire, it would make a huge difference.

Even with the Conti's, the M coupe handled very well on the track. It had a little more body roll than I thought it would, but overall was very competent. Despite what other journalists have written on the car, we experienced minimal understeer at the track (we had tire pressures at 36psi all around). It was also very predictable with the DSC off, and good be easily steered with the throttle, as Will Turner is demonstrating in my photos.

·
Vivan los Bimmers!
205 Posts
I ended up raising the psi to 38 all around (warm tire temperature) before going out. After cool down they would be up to 41.
I did try some laps with the stock recommended 30psi all around. Boy was that bad, I only did like 3 laps and had to get out and re-group. :rofl:

I had a few turns that it felt like plowing, basically quite a bit of understeer. I figured a lot of it was just driver inexperience. I wasn't new to the track, but I am still learning and it's the most hp I've driven on the track. All an all I was extremely happy with the track day I had.

I'll be very happy when I change those tires. However, I'm surprised because they are so nice for the street.

I appreciate your feedback! :thumbup:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rimblas said:
I ended up raising the psi to 38 all around (warm tire temperature) before going out. After cool down they would be up to 41.
I did try some laps with the stock recommended 30psi all around. Boy was that bad, I only did like 3 laps and had to get out and re-group. :rofl:

I had a few turns that it felt like plowing, basically quite a bit of understeer. I figured a lot of it was just driver inexperience. I wasn't new to the track, but I am still learning and it's the most hp I've driven on the track. All an all I was extremely happy with the track day I had.

I'll be very happy when I change those tires. However, I'm surprised because they are so nice for the street.

I appreciate your feedback! :thumbup:
You will get some understeer when you enter certain corners. I don't know how you drive, but once you get that initial understeer you should get off the throttle to transfer the weight to the front (which will help turn in), then get back on the power, which can allow you to balance the car nicely or get some power oversteer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts