BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
761 - 780 of 1793 Posts

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #761 ·
I picked up a machined aluminum oil filler cap to further compliment the other bare aluminum in my Coupe's engine bay. I haven't decided yet if it's rice or clean:

p.s. I also picked up BMW's Art cars, pics are HERE.

·
Joiner
667 Posts
I picked up a machined aluminum oil filler cap to further compliment the other bare aluminum in my Coupe's engine bay. I haven't decided yet if it's rice or clean:

p.s. I also picked up BMW's Art cars, pics are HERE.
I love the story of your car and I like most of what you have done. No disrespect intended, but, for me, your engine compartment has gone OT.

The red coil cover is a stretch. As far as that goes, I think the colorful "M" symbol on it says all that needs to be said. Adding a non-OEM oil filter cap (stamped by BMS) is, IMHO, clearly in the "rice" zone. If the cap were OEM aluminum machined, I could get more comfortable with it.

I would also go back to the OEM braces (there is a safety function built into them), maybe painted to match the strut brace, or keep them black and paint the strut brace black.

I prefer a more subtle, but improved OEM look. Stygar's engine compartment is more in line with my preferences.

All that said, it's fun and interesting to see someone push the envelope. Please keep the thread going!

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #763 ·
I love the story of your car and I like most of what you have done. No disrespect intended, but, for me, your engine compartment has gone OT.

The red coil cover is a stretch. As far as that goes, I think the colorful "M" symbol on it says all that needs to be said. Adding a non-OEM oil filter cap (stamped by BMS) is, IMHO, clearly in the "rice" zone. If the cap were OEM aluminum machined, I could get more comfortable with it.

I would also go back to the OEM braces (there is a safety function built into them), maybe painted to match the strut brace, or keep them black and paint the strut brace black.

I prefer a more subtle, but improved OEM look. Stygar's engine compartment is more in line with my preferences.

All that said, it's fun and interesting to see someone push the envelope. Please keep the thread going!
-Thanks for the critique. I'm not sold on the filler cap. I bought it with the understanding that I may end up hawking it on eBay later. I'll live with it for a little while and see how I feel. With regard to the Dinan supplemental strut braces, they are machined on the bottom so that they will collapse in the event of an accident, if that is the "safety function" you were referring to.

·
Joiner
667 Posts
-Thanks for the critique. I'm not sold on the filler cap. I bought it with the understanding that I may end up hawking it on eBay later. I'll live with it for a little while and see how I feel. With regard to the Dinan supplemental strut braces, they are machined on the bottom so that they will collapse in the event of an accident, if that is the "safety function" you were referring to.
It was indeed. Glad to hear you researched that!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Amazing, Earl, what you've done. I'm thinking about bringing the Coupe down later this year to have some of your mods done but there's one major obstacle to that plan, which I'll tell you about in person. BTW I tried to book dyno time last week with the Dyno Dynamics shop here but no dice - too many racers getting ready for the season that had the dyno completely tied up.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #769 ·
Amazing, Earl, what you've done. I'm thinking about bringing the Coupe down later this year to have some of your mods done but there's one major obstacle to that plan, which I'll tell you about in person. BTW I tried to book dyno time last week with the Dyno Dynamics shop here but no dice - too many racers getting ready for the season that had the dyno completely tied up.
-Autowave or RPI?

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #770 ·
I added more pics (from RichardinNC) to my M-Fest thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1304176#post1304176

The following are pics from last weekend in Las Vegas for a BMWCCA driving school at Las Vegas Motor Speedway's outside road course.

We'll start with pics from Palace Station, where Friday's registration took place:

And after dark:

And some shots with 1mpowerme's Dinan-blown (and also overboosted) E36 M3:

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 ·
Saturday, while heading out to the track, who pulls onto the freeway in front of me but Gabe (MTHEORY)! So I took some shots of him on our way to the paddock:

Some paddock shots:

Tim (1mpowerme) "looking cool" next to his M5:

This Cougar looked promising, but didn't turn out to be too fast:

Tim's M5 and others:

Lined up in the hot pits, ready to go out:

The starter, with the strip in the background:

Some shots of Gabe's MC on track:

And back in the pits:

From the other end of the paddock:

Heading back toward the strip at the end of the day:

We found this great Chinese restaurant for dinner (two of them, actually). This is a good sign:

Then we went to Fremont street:

To get the best friend twinkies on the planet:

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #772 ·
Sunday there were numerous aircraft flying into and out of the Air Force base. This C17 was the only one big enough for my little camera to pick up clearly:

Some pics of Tim's blown M3:

More pics of Gabe on track:

Three E36 M3s (and a Z8):

Following Tim back to the strip for some great sushi (yes, there really is a good Japanese restaurant in LV):

My Coupe, Tim's M3 and VettRacer's M5:

A night shot, before heading home:

Bye, bye Vegas:

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #773 ·
Tim took a lot of pics too, as did Gabe. I was able to read Tim's memory stick, but my laptop doesn't have a car reader big enough for the large Canon memory cards. So I'm waiting for Gabe to email me a DVD. In the mean time, here are some of Tim's pics.

Gabe's MC:

Our driver's meeting:

The corner workers:

There was a Z8 at the track, and was driven pretty well. I've never seen one of these actually used, so props to the owner:

This is Chris Willet, BMWCCA's Sin City Chapter president:

The starter and the strip:

The mountains:

My Saturday instructor's E36 M3, with remarkably well-suited color-shifting flag vinyl:

His shots of my MC:

His M5:

One of two sweet black Z3 MCs:

The Z8 on track, and my MC at the same spots:

·
Joiner
667 Posts
GREAT pics. Always love to see what's happening in Vegas.

IMHO, your MC was the best looking car in any of the pics EXCEPT for the Z8. For me the Z8 defines sex appeal. But your MC is spectacular none the less.

Hope you enjoyed the trip. Thanks very much for posting the pictorial story!

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
Here's a pic I took at the LV event.

Attachments

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #780 ·
i meant it looks like ur rear tires are slicks? i guess i dont understand the point of having slicks on the track.

yes i am a noob
-My tires started off as full-tread RA-1s. These are basically a racing compound with an aggressive street-legal tread design. As the tread blocks wear down they deflect less under loading (a good thing) and eventually (when you get down to the wear bars) start looking and acting like a race slick. Slicks are the opposite of their name - they grip much better than any treaded tire because of the increase in the amount of rubber that contacts the road (increase in the size of the contact patch). One of my front RA-1s is just now starting to show a little cord (outermost layer of the belting), so it's definitely time to change them. I'm planning on trying NT-01s next, just to see how they are in comparison to the RA-1.

761 - 780 of 1793 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.