BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
749 Posts
Cool "Snap in Place" seam feature....
(Looks like the red dots are going away now.)
I see the familar trunk depressurization flaps too IIRC.

·
Back in the fold
126 Posts
Question for Rod

Pardon my ignorance, since I haven't seen one in the flesh, nor do I have my own yet, but of the pics I've seen, isn't this big red reflector integrated into the rear bumper? If you remove it, what do you plan to do with the hole it leaves behind? I'd love to make mine go away too!

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Goodwood said:
Pardon my ignorance, since I haven't seen one in the flesh, nor do I have my own yet, but of the pics I've seen, isn't this big red reflector integrated into the rear bumper? If you remove it, what do you plan to do with the hole it leaves behind? I'd love to make mine go away too!
Fill it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ron,

Are you concerned at all about getting a proper paint match? That's bascially the first thing that comes to my mind. I know metallics might be more difficult, but white still isn't an easy match.

conorb

·
Dragon Master of TEXAS!
876 Posts
Ron, i like the use of the red and blue rags! ;)
Red for right and blue for left.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
conorb said:
Ron,

Are you concerned at all about getting a proper paint match? That's bascially the first thing that comes to my mind. I know metallics might be more difficult, but white still isn't an easy match.

conorb
The paint doesn't match to begin with.
Bumpers, mirrors, grilles etc. are painted by venders. Not done at the factory.
My front bumper is way off.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
The paint doesn't match to begin with.
Bumpers, mirrors, gilles etc. are painted by venders. Not done at the factory.
My front bumper is way off.
Are you going to get everything re-done? Well the BMW dealer do this for you since none of it matches in the first place?

I've noticed several (small) issues with my hood and I'm thinking I can fix it; plus the car isn't going to be a museum piece or anything.

I have a feeling we're all a little picky when it comes to things like this.:)

conorb

·
Registered
868 Posts
conorb said:
Are you going to get everything re-done? Well the BMW dealer do this for you since none of it matches in the first place?

I've noticed several (small) issues with my hood and I'm thinking I can fix it; plus the car isn't going to be a museum piece or anything.

I have a feeling we're all a little picky when it comes to things like this.:)

conorb
Paint is definitely a weak spot on these cars - I have a funny faded area about 3" in diameter on the upper hood passenger side - noticed it when I took delivery, however I figured I could buff it out - can't...

As far as the DOT markers - I'm thinking of painting them out vs. pull and fill. That way I can put the car back to stock quite easily if required. My only concern with making the change is voiding my insurance if the worst were to happen...

Db

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
caylan said:
Sorry, don't know the first thing about body work Ron, but how is this done?:dunno:
Shop that did my Z3 purchased a plastic welder. Fills the hole with similar plastic and welds it in. Then finishes it off. On the Z3 you may have to finish both sides since the back sets against something in some cases.
Similar when he did the hood nozzle holes but metal. Finished both sides since both sides show.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think I'm going to keep the huffy bike reflectors. Not that I really want to, but there seems to be a good chance the the cure is worse than the disease. Good luck.

conorb

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
Shop that did my Z3 purchased a plastic welder. Fills the hole with similar plastic and welds it in. Then finishes it off. On the Z3 you may have to finish both sides since the back sets against something in some cases.
Similar when he did the hood nozzle holes but metal. Finished both sides since both sides show.
Can I surmise that this is less labour & cost intensive than just ordering a euro bumper?
Can you even get a euro bumper?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
caylan said:
Can I surmise that this is less labour & cost intensive than just ordering a euro bumper?
Can you even get a euro bumper?
Neither of the euro bumpers are in the system yet.

Rear should work.

All of the front bumpers use the headlight washers so you would have to fill them anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts